University draws $36,805 in paid parking tickets during 2012-13 year

The UNA Police Department distributed 2,044 tickets for on-campus parking violations during the 2012-13 school year, bringing in a total of $36,805 in paid tickets to the university general fund, said Chief of Police Bob Pastula.

A reported 370 parking tickets, worth $8,335, went unpaid during the school year.

The UNA Police Department does not receive any of the money brought in by parking tickets, Pastula said.

Parking without a valid permit and parking in a prohibited zone were the two most common parking violations this year.

Pastula said the department is expecting a huge change in campus parking availability in the upcoming school year.

“We are currently down 317 spaces: 147 in Lot O, 30 at the corner of Oakview (Circle) and Pine (Street), 50 in Lot B, and 90 in lot H,” he said via email. “I am going to be sending out a university-wide email just before the start of the semester encouraging students to take advantage of the off-campus parking and buses.”

Pastula said GPS locators are currently being installed on campus shuttle buses which will allow students to find the shuttle buses at any time using the UNA mobile app.

The information for this report was provided by Laura Reese, administrative assistant to Chief Pastula.

For a full list of campus parking regulations, click here.

Students can also access a detailed map of campus here.

Stick with The Flor-Ala for more information and developing news on campus parking this year.