Teaching styles, study plans affect attention in classes

Drifting off to sleep is a common struggle for students who feel disengaged in class.

Paying attention in class is not always easy, especially in the midst of sleep deprivation and college distractions.

Students say even for the most boring classes, being able to concentrate starts the day you schedule your classes.

Students agree that there are particular times of day that are simply easier for them to stay on task. Sophomore Kristen Dunn said her most challenging time of day is the late afternoon, just because she is ready to be done with class.

Dunn said she finds the time of day she is most able to focus and schedules her classes during that time.

Students agree that focusing is especially difficult when they are not interested in the course material. UNA offers classes geared towards a variety of interests which fulfill general requirements.

Professors, too, realize that students need to feel that the information they are learning is useful and relevant.

Wayne Bergeron, professor of criminal justice, makes sure to include current events and practical applications of the material he teaches to help his students understand that what they are learning is important and will give them skills they can use in the real world.

Caitlin Plummer, an education major at UNA, said she enjoys her education classes because the professors change up their teaching styles from day to day to expose students to different forms of delivery.

Incoming freshman are often told that college is more difficult than high school. Some students, however, believe that paying attention is actually easier in college because classes are shorter.

John Michael Bacon, a UNA freshman, said he has more motivation to focus and excel in college because he is financiall invested.

Dunn said tests are often much further apart in college than in high school, making procrastination easy.

Larry Bates, a professor of psychology at UNA, said he went from Ds and Fs in college to almost straight As by adopting what he calls “obsessive studying.”

At the beginning of each semester, he would look over the syllabus for each of his classes and make a master calendar that included all tests and assignment due dates. He would then write down the work he needed to do each day, whether it was reading five pages of a chapter or choosing a topic for an upcoming paper.

By following his schedule faithfully and crossing out his to-do list for each day, he was able to avoid being overwhelmed by his classes as he had been previously.

As a result, he was able to stay on top of his studies, even with work and other responsibilities.

To avoid being overrun with last minute work, students can consider adopting a study plan like Bates’ or finding a method of focusing that works for them, whether it is note-taking or focusing on the main points of discussion in each class.

Bates said students who find themselves getting behind should not hesitate to ask their professor for guidance, as most professors are more than willing to provide help outside of class.