Young teams will see freshmen compete early

Defensive specialist Alex Panks serves against the UAH Lady Chargers.

Volleyball

UNA’s volleyball program has a history of success, including the 2003 Division II National Championship.

With only six returning players, this year’s team will look drastically different from the last. Stephanie Radecki, head coach, said UNA has signed nine players already and will continue recruitment into the summer.

Radecki said getting the new squad to have chemistry is not a problem, but a challenge.

“I wouldn’t look at it as a problem; it just depends on how quickly they mesh together as a team,” she said. “It will be a lot of people getting used to not only new teammates, but a new coaching staff.”

The team has been training with the six returning players, and Radecki said she is pleased with the way things are going.

“Things are going really well; we just finished spring training with our six players that are returning,” she said.

The volleyball team will continue to practice and mesh during the summer.

“I am really excited about (the upcoming season); our coaching staff worked really hard with recruiting,” she said. “We are really looking forward to putting the team together in the summer and practicing together.”

The new team will bring a new look to the Lions’ volleyball program, Radecki said.

“There will be a new energy and a new outlook and (the team will) have a bunch of new players who want to be here,” she said.

The volleyball program relies on a strong fan presence at the games.

“I think we always need (fan support),” Radecki said. “It is a huge factor. Hopefully they will come out again and get to know the new players.”

Radecki said being a part of the volleyball program is a special privilege.

“There has always been a lot of pride…associated with UNA volleyball,” she said. “Regardless of if players decide to stay or leave or graduate or quit or transfer, they always have a good feeling about being a part of it,” she said.

The Lions volleyball team will play their first matches Sept. 6 and 7 in a tournament at Armstrong Atlantic State University in Savannah, Ga.

Cross Country

The UNA cross country teams will field a total of seven freshmen this upcoming season.

The women’s team is made up of 14 runners: 1 senior, 3 juniors, 7 sophomores and 3 freshmen. The men’s team will have 7 runners: 1 senior, 1 junior, 1 sophomore and 4 freshmen.

Scott Trimble, the head coach of both cross country teams, said he is excited about the core group of runners on the women’s team.

“I really think if we work and do what we are supposed to do, on the women’s side we should battle for a conference championship. I will be very disappointed if we do anything different,” Trimble said.

Trimble said he has different expectations for the men’s teams.

“On the guys side, we have been in the lower tier the past two or three years,” he said. “If we can get middle pack or better, I think it would be great.”

He blames himself for the men’s struggles.

“It is my responsibility to coach better,” he said. “It is my fault; I have done a very poor job of coaching the guys’ I have done a very poor job of coaching the guys’ side. We are going to work to do better this year.”

As for the summer workouts, the women will go from running 35-40 miles a week in June to running 50-60 miles a week in July, August and September. The men will work up to running 60-70 miles a week in July, August and September.

Trimble said he respects every cross country athlete.

“This is probably the purest sport out there,” he said. “It is not very glamorous. It takes a special person to run cross country. There is not a lot of recognition for this sport.”

Trimble extended an open invitation to anyone wanting to see what the athletes go through on a weekly basis.

“I would welcome anyone who wants to come down and go with us and travel with and come see what they do,” he said.

Soccer

In December of last year, Graham Winkworth resigned as head soccer coach for UNA to take the same position at the University of South Alabama. Former Lee University assistant Chris Walker was hired in January to replace Winkworth, who had led the Lions to four straight NCAA D-II regional tournaments.

Walker said he and assistant coach Chris McBride inherited 13 players from last year’s squad, which meant they had to fill the void left by a large senior class.

“We lost a talented senior class so replacing them was never going to be easy,” Walker said.

He feels that the group of players he brought in for the 2013 season will be able to compete.

“We feel very confident about our 2013 class and are now well under way with recruiting our 2014 (class),” he said.

Walker added that the women coming back from last year’s team have adjusted well to the new coaching staff and has worked hard during spring workouts.

“I am excited to see how they gel with all of the incoming players this fall,” he said. “We have had players step up this spring, take leadership roles and continue to push the rest of the squad in a positive direction.”

With the new coaching staff, freshmen, transfers and returning players will have the same shot at playing time, Walker said.

He said that students should be excited about how competitive the team is going to be.

“We plan on being very competitive in the GSC again and then hopefully in the NCAA Tournament,” he said.

Walker said that the coaching staff and players are looking forward to the next season.

“They have worked hard all spring and are excited to come back in August ready to play,” he said.