Language program improves communication skills

Lily Wallace, Owasra Ayassor and Demi Pan study a globe in LaGrange Hall. The Language Partner Program allows students to explore each other’s cultures,  gain global perspective and networking for the future.

There are currently 308 international students at UNA representing 34 different countries. Some of these students may spend as little as one semester here at UNA, while others have been known to spend up to eight or nine years.

No matter the duration of their stay, a great deal of emphasis is put on international students developing friendships with domestic students while at UNA.

Jiajia Lin and Meggin Major are one example of an international-domestic bond. Lin is an accounting student from China, and Major is a nursing student and native of Alabama. They met three years ago at UNA, and since then, Major and Lin have developed a special friendship.

The two reflected on their friendship over the past three years over spaghetti dinner, Thursday night karaoke, and bowling—things that have become a tradition for them.

“I didn’t think Americans would be so kind and want to learn about other cultures,” Lin said.

Besides that, she said she thought Americans, specifically Major, would be taller.

Lin shared what it’s like for her, as an international student, to meet Americans for the first time.

“Language is the most important part, because if you don’t know how to communicate, it is hard to have fun together,” she said. “American students have to step first, because international students don’t know what they can talk to you about and what they can say to you. The American student should make the first move.”

“I haven’t met an international student who didn’t want to be friends with domestic students,” Major said. “You have to ask them to go do things with you. A lot of times they will be uncomfortable and say no, but be persistent. You make a lot of really good friends that way.”

A similar friendship exists between Qualon Millender, a junior from Talladega, Ala., and Hongbin Yu, from Guangdong, China. They have known each other for nearly three years.

Qualon said he overcame some of his false preconceptions about international students when he met Yu.

“I thought (Chinese) were quiet and shy people,” he said. “I guess I thought students from China were scared of Americans. Also, I figured they were group-oriented. I found the group work to be true, but the other things turned out to be false.”

Having learned most of what he knew about Americans from American Pie movies, Yu came bearing an idea that Americans are very “free” and irresponsible. This soon changed.

“After I met a lot of Americans, these friends led me to the conclusion that Americans are quite responsible with their lives,” Yu said. “They do plan for their futures, they go to college, get higher education and build their careers.”

Qualon said he advises UNA students to take the opportunity to meet students from other countries.

“I would say never judge a book by its cover and do not be afraid to step out of your comfort to meet new people,” he said. “Some of the most interesting people you could meet are foreign students, and I’m glad I got the chance to meet Hongbin Yu because he became a really good friend.”

One way to get to know an international student is through the Office of International Affairs’ Language Partner program. Its purpose is “to help ESL students improve their conversational English, give an opportunity to share your culture and learn another, and encourage international students to get involved in campus life.”

For more information about becoming a language partner, visit una.edu/international/language-partner.