Listerhill Credit Union offers on-campus student banking

Angelica Espitia and Ashley Motes hanging out at The Hill, Listerhill Credit Union’s on-campus branch, located in Gulliot University Center. The Hill branch is operated by staff and student workers, and has features a lounge area for students.

Staff at Listerhill Credit Union said the company could potentially begin offering a debit card option on student Mane Cards as a way for students to track their money spending this fall.

The Hill, Listerhill’s student branch located on campus in the GUC, is geared specifically toward college students.

“The Hill is specifically designed with them in mind,” said Listerhill Marketing Director Kristen Mashburn. “The Hill is a checking account with an overdraft forgiveness feature.”

The OOPS Forgiveness feature allows members a pardon if they mistakenly overdraft too much money in or out of their accounts. Members are eligible for up to five per year.

Students said the forgiveness feature is a helpful money management tool.

“I love that I have up to five forgivenessess in a year,” said Kerstin Miller, junior. “All I have to do is go in and ask to use one of my forgivenesses and I won’t be punished.”

The Hill account also allows students the option to earn rewards on their debit cards and create checking accounts with no minimum balance.

Upon activation of an account, a new member is only required to deposit a minimum of $5 in checking, Mashburn said.

“It’s kind of like a little starter bundle of accounts for students,” she said.

Chase Wise said he enjoys his Listerhill account because of how understanding it is of him as a college student.

“It’s the only place I’ve ever used as a member where I am taught to be fiscally responsible, not punished for my mess ups,” he said. “It’s the only place you can start an account and meet new and interesting people every day.”

The popularity of student accounts with Listerhill has increased over the years, Mashburn said.

“We do know that over the past few years our average age has reduced a lot, and the university has reported to us that we are a significant source for having their checks cashed,” she said.

The popularity with the accounts have piqued so much interest that Listerhill and UNA officials began discussions to initiate a joint debit and Mane Card feature.

Listerhill accepted a bid from the university in March, although no changes have been made to Mane Cards for the upcoming year, according to Director of Procurement Cindy Conlon.

If an agreement is reached, the cards would be printed on sturdier card stock, Conlon said.

“If we are able to work out the details with Listerhill, we will work toward an implementation that supports the 2014-15 school year,” Conlon said, via email.