Freshman Forum offers chance for leadership roles

Though UNA’s student enrollment is often only a fraction of the enrollment of other public universities in the state, to a freshman who is brand new to the university, being one out of 7,000 students can be overwhelming. Freshman Forum is a branch of Student Government Association that may be ideal for those that want to develop leadership skills and get involved in campus life.

“Freshman Forum is a group composed of about 30 people (that) basically throws events on campus to bring freshmen out of their dorm rooms,” said Brianna Jordan, a Freshman Forum adviser for the 2012-2013 school year.

The highest-attended functions this year were a date auction, which raised money for the Endowed Scholarship Fund, and Rave to Raise, a dance party that raised money for philanthropies on campus.

“Freshmen feel like it’s going to be so much work, (but) it’s really a fun thing to get involved in,” Jordan said.

The forum is a good place to start for those who want to become members of SGA in the future, Jordan said.

“By getting involved on campus, you meet new people, and that’s how you get your name out there,” she said. “I went from being a Freshman Forum member to (being) a Freshman Forum adviser the next year. We’ve had Keke Greer go from being Freshman Forum vice president to chief of staff, which is very big in SGA.”

In addition to hosting events, Freshman Forum also has many other functions.

“We have issues tables,” said Maurice Mull, a Freshman Forum member and adviser for the upcoming school year. “An issues table is where the Student Issues committee sets up a table and allows students to come and report issues they see on campus. What we do is bring them back to our meeting, and we find out ways to solve those issues and make them better.”

The forum is also involved in service projects.

“We did something for the custodial staff,” said Brooke Chamblee, Freshman Forum member and chair of the Service committee. “We just made them little goody bags to show them that we appreciate what they do.”

Mull said having the power to make a difference in his campus community was his main incentive for joining.

“Earlier last semester, I initiated a proposal to change the code of laws to fit what we needed,” he said. “We didn’t have a treasurer at first; the vice president served as treasurer. So I wrote a proposal to change the code of laws to add a financial committee so we can have some more accountability within the finances.”

The efforts of the forum do not go unnoticed by their peers.

“I’m glad that the freshman class has a voice that can speak to the administration,” said Jay Liles, a UNA freshman. “I’m not connected to the forum, but I do like that they advocate for the class.”

Freshman Forum applications are sent out within the first few weeks after classes start, Jordan said.