First Fridays unites community, university

First Fridays is a monthly tradition in downtown Florence and a time for students to join the rest of the community in the streets downtown to experience what the community has to offer in terms of shopping, eating and entertainment.

During the first Friday of every month from March through December, live music, local art and shopping are the center of attention.

Some UNA students, such as Kelsey Hyche, enjoy First Fridays because of the student-friendly discounts and entertainment.

“I went because I wanted to have cheap food and I wanted to see live bands perform,” she said. “I thought it was really cool and (I would) make it a tradition. I would recommend it to a friend.”

During warmer months, many take advantage of the time to get out and socialize with other people from the community. Vendors set up tents along Court Street and the cross-streets while bands perform on a stage on Seminary Street.

“I have only been once, but I really liked it (because) it was a lot of fun and there was really nice weather,” said Courtney Geiger, a student at UNA. “I bought a ring from one of the booths. We went to eat dinner then went to First Friday. It is a lot of fun and a good way to spend Friday night in the community, hanging out.”

Downtown shops participate by extending store hours and offering special discounts and deals. Many of these shops owners have been impressed by the positive impact it has on business.

Sonja Zelada, manager of Salvation Army, said her store participates by extending closing time from 4 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.

“We have been doing this over the past two years and the crowds, (consisting of) everyone from the community, including a lot of students,

have really picked up,” she said. “It gives people an opportunity to come to the shop who would not be able to be here during regular hours.”

Gingerbread Antique Mall, a downtown shop that offers a variety of vintage, handmade and original items, has been attracting First Friday shoppers for five years.

Donna Clemons, owner of the shop, said First Fridays is a great time for community members to get off the beaten path and enjoy finger food as they browse the shop.