Friends, officials commemorate life of UNA student

Editor’s Note: Funeral arrangements have been added, following an email from David Shields, Vice President for Student Affairs.

One-of-a-kind. That’s how many friends and individuals said they remember Justin Ponder and his life.

Ponder, a UNA student, died unexpectedly over the weekend, according to an email sent out by Vice President for Student Affairs David Shields.

“It’s been surreal,” said Savion Nehemiah, one of Ponder’s close friends. “It’s not anything that you normally go through. He was one of those one-in-a-million types of people. There’s no one else in my life that I could compare him to.”

Junior Sam Michaels, who worked alongside Ponder in ROTC, said he was always happy, no matter the circumstances.

“He was one of a kind,” Michaels said. “I first met Justin on a field training exercise. We were paired up for the entire weekend. Whether we were crawling through the mud or running through the woods, he was always smiling and joking about it.”

Nehemiah said one of Ponder’s best qualities was his strength and ability to face each day with a smile.

“Mentally, he was strong,” he said. “Going through the struggles of life from day to day, he wouldn’t let things break him. So, his strength was important, but so was his loyalty. We always had each other’s back. He was just a stand-up guy.”

Ponder was always like a brother to him, Nehemiah said.

“There was just something about him, from the moment we met, where I just wanted to look out for him,” he said. “I looked at him like a little brother. I always wanted a little brother, and I had in my mind that if I had a little brother, he would be something like Justin.

“We had constant talks about everything from day-to-day life, to the future, to sports. We did everything together. We worked out together, ate together, prayed together – he truly was, by every definition, a little brother to me.”

Friends said Ponder was the type of person who never met a stranger.

“I knew Ponder through classes together, living together in the dorms and through ROTC,” said junior Frank Kirsopp. “After meeting Justin for the first time our freshman year, we immediately became friends. He seemed to be able to do this with everyone he met. He was always lively and had this goofy sense of humor that could turn any solemn moment into a happy one. Justin always tried to place others first, even when we would just be hanging out.”

Lt. Col. Michael Snyder, professor of military science, said Ponder was quite the athlete and that his goal was to become the first U.S. Army officer in his family.

“He was a qualified soldier and focused on his grade,” Snyder said. “His goal was to get a degree and commission as an Army officer.”

Snyder echoed the thoughts of Ponder’s friends.

“He never met anybody that didn’t like him,” he said. “He was just a positive guy. He was a respectful guy. You wanted to be around Ponder.”

Snyder said Ponder was someone who stood out in all aspects of life and had a vivacious personality.

“It is always difficult and heartbreaking to lose a member of the UNA family,” Shields said via email. “I know Justin’s family appreciates all of your concerns and sympathies, and they find comfort in knowing he is remembered fondly by so many.”

Shields said he would encourage those who need grief support or counseling to contact the Student Counseling Center on campus.

“I want to remind faculty, staff and students about the services and support provided by the Student Counseling Center,” he said. “Counseling staff members are available to talk with students. You may contact the Student Counseling Center at 256-765-5215.”

The visitation has been scheduled for Friday, May 10, from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. at R.S. Lewis & Sons Funeral Home, according to an email from David Shields.

The funeral will take place on Saturday, May 11, at 11 a.m. at Progressive Baptist Church. The church is located at 394 Vance Ave. in Memphis, Tennessee and is next to the funeral home.