$68,000 in dining dollars unspent last year

Officials said approximately $68,000 in student dining dollars went unspent last year. Though dining dollars will roll over from the fall to spring semester, they cannot transfer from spring to fall, said Alan Kinkead, general manager of Sodexo.

Those $105 dollars that make their way out of the bank accounts and onto the Mane Cards of UNA students have a way of getting forgotten until the end of the semester.

Luckily for students, any unspent funds roll over from the fall to spring semester. With the end of the semester approaching, Dining Services at UNA is encouraging students to “spend those dining dollars” because, once the spring semester comes to an end, they will not roll over to the fall.

Last year, $68,000 in dining dollars went unspent, said Alan Kinkead, general manager of Sodexo at UNA. That amounts to approximately 7 percent of the total fund. He said that in this situation, leftover funds are divided between the university and Sodexo.

“We want the students to spend the money,” he said. “It’s silly to have this and not spend it.

“We’ve put ads in The Flor-Ala, we’ve done advertisements through social media and emails, and I don’t know what else to do to get the word out.”

Kinkead said he and his staff recently sent emails to students who had not spent any of their Dining Dollars.

Kinkead said letting the Dining Dollars roll over from spring to fall semesters is out of the question because that is not how dining services at other universities operate.

“It starts to become an administrative nightmare when you do that, and it’s typically not the way that is done,” he said. “At some point, you just have to say, ‘This is it’.”

A mandatory Dining Dollar fee went into effect in the fall of 2011 and has been in effect since.

The fee will increase by another $30 this fall, but Kinkead said the fee will cap once this increase goes into effect.

Based on a response from UNA student Katelyn Jarrell, the Dining Dollar fee is successful in getting students to shop on campus who would not normally do so.

She lives off campus and said eating on campus is not her first choice because of high prices, but she never has trouble spending her Dining Dollars.

“This year, mine was gone both semesters before midterms,” she said.

As could be expected, students are more likely to spend the Dining Dollars they voluntarily purchase. Kinkead said less than 1 percent of the Dining Dollars tied to a meal plan remained at the end of the spring 2012 semester.