Hit series making returns

Many television fans will be happy to hear that two hit shows will be making comebacks soon. The teen drama “Veronica Mars” and the improvisation comedy “Whose Line is it Anyway?” are set to return to the public eye.

“(‘Veronica Mars’) is about a high school private investigator,” said Cynthia Burkhead, assistant professor of English. “Her father was a private investigator and in high school it was just she and her father and so she helped him out on cases and things. The fascinating thing right now is that they began a Kickstarter campaign to finance a ‘Veronica Mars’ movie.”

Kickstarter.com is a website where filmmakers, musicians, artists, and designers propose different projects in order to gain funding from supporters. According to CBSnews.com, the ‘Veronica Mars’ project received $2 million dollars within the first 12 hours and $5.7 million by the end of the campaign. The movie is set for release in 2014.

“I’m excited to see it come back,” Burkhead said. “She was another example of a good, strong, young female character, and the more of those, the better.”

Many of those who are more interested in comedy will be excited to see “Whose Line is it Anyway?” return to television. The show featured four comedians who would act out scenes and play games without scripts and with random suggestions from audience members. The show will air on The CW this summer with the original cast including Wayne Brady, Colin Mochrie and Ryan Stiles. Original host Drew Carey will not be returning and will be replaced with The Talk’s Aisha Tyler. Many are excited about the show’s return.

“I feel like it’s great,” said Jeffrey Allen, a UNA student. “(With) all (of) the things nowadays, there’s really not improvisation such as ‘Whose Line is it Anyway?’, especially with Wayne Brady. (The comedians) just have a gift.”

So is fan hype the reason for this show’s revival like it is with “Veronica Mars”?

“I wouldn’t say it’s the fan hype (that is bringing it back),” said Kate Partain, a UNA student. “I would say that we’re looking for more new comedy shows; we’re looking for more revivals. Obviously, you see this with ‘Monsters University’ and ‘Finding Dory’. There are so many things right now that are bringing up stuff from the past that was a brilliant movie or different show, and I think ‘Whose Line’ is one of those things.”