A lifelong passion

Lions senior first baseman Josh Cyr has been named GSC Baseball Player of the Week March 12 for his performance in the five games March 6-10.

In the series, Cyr hit .615, going 8-of-13 at the plate with two home runs, a double, five RBIs and six runs scored.

Cyr’s official baseball career started at Westminster Christian Academy in Huntsville, where he played first base, third base and catcher under Coach John Honea. While at Westminster, he went to playoffs from 2006 to 2009, and he holds the record for most home runs in a season.

“I have been playing baseball since I was 7,” Cyr said. “It has always been an important part of my life.”

After coming to UNA, Cyr started 51 of UNA’s 53 games in 2010 and was selected the 2010 GSC Freshman of the Year.

In 2011, Cyr was selected for the All-Gulf South Conference (AGSC) at first base as a sophomore. In 2012, he started the last 150 consecutive baseball games and holds the UNA career record for most times hit-by-pitch at 58.

“Being in AGSC’s conference has really made me become a better player,” Cyr said. “All of the teams work hard and you really have to be on your game.”

UNA head baseball coach Mike Keehn said Cyr is a hard-working player who handles pressure well.

“Josh was one of the few players who could handle the pressure of playing in the AGSC and was our first ever freshman of the year in the AGSC,” said Mike Keehn, head baseball coach. “He works hard and is a very responsible and quality person, as well as a good baseball player.”

Cyr said one of his fondest memories of being on the UNA baseball team is going to the regional tournament.

“One of the greatest accomplishments that comes to mind is being part of the first UNA baseball team to go to regionals in a long time,” Cyr said.

Keehn said Cyr is not only a good player but a good student.

“I hope we can bring a championship to his career, but I know he will graduate from UNA and I am very proud of how well he has done in the classroom as well as on the field,” Keehn said.

Cyr is majoring in exercise science and will graduate in May 2013.

“Right now I am not sure what will happen after graduation,” he said. “I know that I want to work with athletes’ strength and conditioning.”

Keehn said Cyr continues to grow and has worked hard to become one of the top defensive first basemen in the country.

“Whatever path he chooses, he will do well; if he gets an opportunity to play baseball beyond UNA, I know he will perform to the best of his abilities,” Keehn said. “If that opportunity does not come his way, he will be involved with athletics at some level and will be a great asset to any program.”