SGA secretary mixes it up, starts own DJ business

Greer performs at the Dance Marathon in the GUC Banquet Hall March 4.

Sophomore KeKe Greer, better known to some as DJ KG, has spent the last two years establishing herself as a leader and friendly face on UNA’s campus.

“When I came to UNA, I didn’t know anyone,” she said. “UNA wasn’t my first choice. I had a scholarship to a school about seven hours away from home. I came to SOAR, though, and I just fell in love.”

Already an active member of SGA, Residence Life, LaGrange Society and Phi Mu, Greer can also add DJ to the list.

“One of the things that people don’t know is the DJing started in high school,” she said. “Music has always been a part of my life.”

Greer said she first became interested in DJing after exploring a computer program at a church youth function in high school.

“Music is my get-down,” she said. “People can care about what you do and be excited for you, but you’re your own biggest fan.

“DJing puts me on a different level. It’s all about the high you get from doing something you love.”

After buying her own equipment and learning more, she started DJing several parties and campus events.

“It’s not just me,” she said. “I have a huge support team. And God is number one. I do have the skills and talent, but without him, it’s not possible.

“What people didn’t see was the year I spent shadowing other DJs and asking questions. It all happened before the equipment and programs.

“The team of people around me keep me going. The circle isn’t huge at all, and DJing doesn’t happen overnight. They helped me get here.”

A marketing major, Greer said she’s often asked why she doesn’t major in something more closely related to music or DJing.

“I try to keep my DJ life and my personal life separate,” she said. “I want to be happy, and I don’t want to come to hate what I love as a hobby.”

Greer said her campus involvement has contributed a lot to the person she’s become since starting at UNA.

“You get what you put in,” she said. “I always recommend living on campus, because then you get the community feeling.

“As far as Phi Mu goes, it blew my mind. It was spring 2012, and I got talked into going to a skate party during spring recruitment. They say ‘When you know, you know.’ I knew.”

She said the rest of her undergraduate experience has just been up from that point.

“I’m the Chief of Staff right now (for SGA),” Greer said. “I still remember exactly what Will (Riley) said to me the night he offered me the job: ‘I have a proposition for you.’ I’ll never forget that.

“I didn’t know Will very well at that point, but I am very grateful to him and Senate for the opportunity to have this position this year.”

Greer was recently elected the 2013-2014 SGA secretary.

She said her biggest piece of advice to students is simple.

“Honestly, don’t let anybody step on your train,” she said. “People may laugh at the idea, but if you believe in yourself, that’s all you need. Don’t let anyone tell you something is impossible, because I’ve seen some things.”