Project MUNCH feeds Shoals children

Through Project MUNCH, UNA nursing students are teaming up with their professors and department chairs to help feed local children in the Shoals area.

Project MUNCH (Making Unforgettable Children less Hungry) began in the Franklin County and Colbert County school systems after founder Kristy Oden, UNA professor of nursing, read an article in the paper that discussed hungry children in the Shoals area. After speaking with school counselors and introducing the idea to the UNA Student Nursing Association (SNA), Oden and her students are helping to feed up to 30 children a week.

Despite their busy schedules, the nursing students were quick to become involved with the program. Level four nursing students are using the program as part of their community service project criteria.

“We had a list that we could choose from and we decided that it was the one that we thought was the most interesting to us just because it doesn’t specify just a certain group,” said Kacey Kilpatrick, UNA nursing student and Project MUNCH volunteer. “It’s all children that go hungry and we just felt like no child should be left behind or struggle — that we should reach out and do something for them.”

Volunteers provide weekend meals to students in need by putting non-perishable food items into a one-gallon bag. Children in need, who have been previous identified by the school system, meet with their counselors Friday afternoons to put the bag of food into their backpack to take home with them.

“It’s focused on elementary school age children because, technically, they have no control over what goes on at home,” Oden said.

Each bag costs about $10 a week and is full of two drink items, two breakfast items, two lunch or dinner items and a few child-friendly snack items.

“It’s not essentially enough for every meal for the whole weekend, but it’s enough to keep them from being so hungry,” Oden said.

With help from SNA, Oden and her students are able to reach more people within the Shoals area to offer donations. The enthusiastic involvement on the part of the students has greatly impressed several of their instructors, said Tera Kirkman, assistant professor of nursing.

“These hardworking nursing students are dedicating time outside their school schedules and clinicals,” Kirkman said. “They’re being very generous with their time to share information about the MUNCH program and to help volunteer.”

Oden said involvement has helped propel the program forward and that counselors from the different school systems have noticed how the program has positively impacted the students it helps as well.

“(A counselor) said these kids are so excited,” Oden said. “They’re pulling (the food) out and showing everybody and saying, ‘Hey, we’re getting something to eat. We’re not going to be hungry now.’”

SNA have set up tables in the GUC to accept donations for Project MUNCH and plan to continue to do so for the rest of the semester. Any items that cannot be used by Project MUNCH for the children will put donated to the Lions Food Pantry.

“Whenever you can contribute, we will take it, always,” said Domoniqu Alexander, UNA nursing student and SNA member.