Officials urge emergency training for students

CPR mannequins are used in first aid training classes to teach people how to properly perform CPR.

Many students are unaware of what to do in the event of a medical emergency on campus even though knowing what to do could be a matter of life and death.

UNA sophomore Andy Page recently had an epileptic seizure in his dorm room. Out of the nine of his friends who were there, only one knew what to do.  

“I think Kali (Daniel) was the only one who knew what to do,” Page said. “I don’t think some of them knew I had epilepsy.”

Chad Miller was there to witness Page’s seizure. He said he had never seen someone have a seizure before, so he just froze.

“When my roommate and I came to ourselves, he called 911 and I went to get our floor’s CA,” Miller said.

An experience like this can be scary, so if someone has epilepsy or any medical conditions, it is important to tell people just in case something happens, Page said. They need to know what to do.

In the event that someone is having a seizure, the person helping is supposed to lay them on their side so they can breathe. Page said it is not unusual for someone to turn blue if they are seizing because it’s hard to breathe while on their back, but people who are having a seizure typically do not need CPR.

“It’s just better to turn them on their side and maybe put a pillow under their head,” Page said.

In any medical emergency, calling 911is always best. While waiting on emergency care, it is best to stay on the phone with the operator and stay calm in order to answer questions about the injured person, according to WebMD.

WebMD offers a check list for emergency situations: “Recall the facts: How long has the person been sick? How long has he been unconscious? When and how did the accident happen?”

Any facts or information that is provided for the medical professional can be beneficial, but knowing basic first aid techniques can make a difference.

UNA offers a first aid class during fall, spring and summer terms for 3 hours of course credit.

While enrolled in this course, students will learn the basic Red Cross course, first aid, CPR and basic rescue breathing.

Dr. Thomas Coates, department of health, physical education and recreation chair, said always to dial 911 or contact campus security immediately if an injury occurs on campus.

“It’s important to enroll in a first aid class, whether it be on campus or in the community with American Red Cross or American Heart Association,” he said.

For sake of full disclosure Kali Daniel is a staff writer for The Flor-Ala.