Rivertown owner not threatened by Starbucks

John Cartwright, owner of Rivertown Coffee Co., located on North Seminary Street downtown, is not the average business man.

In fact, he said he is not shaken by the threat of competition from the Starbucks branch promised for the Academic Commons Building on UNA’s campus next year; although, he understands that he could lose a few customers as a result of its opening.

“I don’t have that competitive mindset, and if everyone can survive, then I’m happy,” he said.

In October 2004, Cartwright and his wife (girlfriend at the time) acted on their dream to create a locally-owned coffee shop to draw in people from all corners of the community.

Cartwright recalled how much he has enjoyed getting Rivertown rooted in the community, pausing occasionally to greet customers by name as they entered.

“I feel like we have an established customer base and can offer something very different from a corporate business on a college campus,” he said.

This “customer base” includes people like Alicia Threet, a UNA student. Threet considers herself a regular at Rivertown, having grown up in Florence and having watched the shop take root in the community for the past eight years. 

“I can say without hesitation that Starbucks will have no effect on how often I go to Rivertown,” she said. “To me, choosing Rivertown is a no-brainer.”

Threet said part of the allure of going to Rivertown is experiencing the “down-to-earth environment” unique to the coffee shop.

Rivertown also has an edge over its contender because it offers lunch menu items, she said.

From 11 a.m. until 2 p.m. Monday through Friday, Rivertown serves soups, salads, sandwiches and wraps, as well as original daily specials, prepared by Cartwright himself.

“I think a lot has to do with supporting local businesses, but it’s more than that,” Threet said. “Starbucks, undeniably, has good coffee and sweets, but Rivertown provides way beyond that. They carry great coffee, sweets — and delicious food.”

Threet said Rivertown’s prices are better, too.

“Starbucks’ prices are absolutely, insanely high,” she said. “Any time I’ve ever purchased something from there, I feel guilty.”

Others such as Ashley White, a sophomore at UNA, plan on frequenting both locations for coffee fixes.

White said she plans to shop at Starbucks occasionally between classes out of convenience but prefers Rivertown.

“Rivertown is really peaceful, and Starbucks just always feels really rushed and hectic,” she said. “Plus, Rivertown coffee is just better.”

White goes to Rivertown to read, write or meet with friends at least three times a week.

Cartwright is confident that Rivertown can withstand the competition.

“I’ve never worked in a corporate setting,” he said. “On an average day, I know the names of the people and what they order. At the end of the day, I think we can do it better than they can.”