Fear the flu

A student in western Ohio recently died after a battle with influenza, commonly known as the flu. This event has drawn attention to the severity of catching this virus.

The student died from influenza A virus, which university health systems nurse practitioner Melissa Ward said is the common strand of the flu this year.

“That was probably just a more severe case, but there are multiple deaths every year from the flu,” she said.

Although there have been multiple cases of the flu on UNA’s campus this year, Ward said there has been a decline in numbers since winter break.

UNA students are aware of the high chances of catching flu and are taking necessary precautions.

Junior Allison Stover said she has had the flu shot and takes a vitamin C supplement daily.

“I keep hand sanitizer with me at all times, and my parents are in the health care profession, so we are always sanitizing everything at my house,” she said.

Junior Avy Stansbury also said she takes vitamin C constantly.

“I wash my hands like crazy,” Stansbury said via Twitter. “Also, at work we Lysol and Clorox everything daily.”

While good hand washing and vitamins are beneficial, the best way to prevent the flu is to get the vaccine, Ward said.

“It’s not too late to get the flu vaccine,” she said. “It takes two weeks to gain immunity.”

The symptoms of the flu include a high fever of 100 degrees or more, cough, sore throat and body aches. To decrease the severity of the illness, someone with these symptoms should see a health care provider within 48 hours, Ward said.

Besides the flu, there is another virus prevalent in the UNA community that students should be concerned with. There have been multiple people diagnosed with Norovirus, formerly known as Norwalk virus.

This virus caused schools in Muscle Shoals to close last year because of the extreme amount of students absent due to the virus.

Using the same tactics to prevent the flu can prevent Norovirus; however, the virus differs in symptoms. Diarrhea and vomiting are associated with the Norovirus but not the body aches or fever, Ward said.

“Norovirus can last anywhere from two to five days,” she said. “Drink clear liquids for 24 to 48 hours unless you become dehydrated; then you should be seen.”