Annual statewide student rally calls for more funding

UNA students march through Montgomery during Higher Education Day 2012. Higher Education Day is a way for college students across Alabama to come together in support of more funding for higher education. Higher Ed Day 2013 will be held Feb. 28 in Montgomery.

SGA Senate members, alongside many other UNA students, will be traveling to Higher Education Day in Montgomery Feb. 28.

Higher Education Day is a way to make students’ voices heard for more funding for higher education, said Gordon Stone, a representative from the Higher Education Partnership, during the Feb. 7 Senate meeting.

“This is almost like a pep rally for the colleges in Alabama,” said Sarah Emerson, chairperson of the Legislative Affairs Committee in Senate.

Rallying for increases in funding will be the day’s central concern, she said.

“This is about adopting all of education, not just K-12 education, to a level playing field,” Stone said.

Emerson said schools from all across the state will be present.

“There will be students from UNA, Alabama, Auburn, Montevallo — everyone’s there,” she said. “And even though we’re all from different schools, we’re all rallying for the same thing — more funding for higher education — which is really cool.”

The percentage of the population in Alabama over the last 25 years with a four-year degree is 21 percent, while the national average is 27 percent, he said.

“There’s no reason for Alabama not to be the best state in the country,” he said. “Work ethic is not a problem in Alabama, but without funding, we’ll never be able to keep up with the changing industries and businesses in America.

“We have to have the best, brightest and most competitive work force we can find.”

While the basic schedule is the same year-to-year, Emerson said students will still be surprised by the events of the day.

“You go down there, and you don’t really know what to expect,” she said. “But the people are genuinely interested in you and in what you’re doing. They come out to see what you’re doing and want to know more about it.

“The best part about last year was just the awareness I gained of state funding for education. I also learned that there are senators and representatives who are really interested in working with higher education, not just K-12 education.”

The biggest thing Emerson said she is looking forward to this year is the impact that will be made through this day.

“We’re bringing about 75 students from UNA alone,” she said. “I would say there are going to be several hundred, if not almost a thousand, students from across the state there.”

Senate will be in charge of a 55-passenger bus that will take students to Higher Ed Day, as well as several cars full of students.

“It’s a first-come, first-serve basis for the bus,” Emerson said. “Students just have to sign a waiver before we leave.”

The bus will be leaving for Montgomery at 6 a.m. from the GUC parking lot, Emerson said. The day will include a parade/rally, guest speakers, and free breakfast and lunch, as well as a free T-shirt.