Practice Safe Tax

Many students question whether or not they should file taxes in college. Financial officials say it is a good idea to file taxes regardless of requirements in order to be eligible for a tax refund when employers withhold taxes from paychecks.

Whether you are filing for the first time or you are a seasoned tax pro, filing taxes can be intimidating.

The first step in tackling your taxes is determining whether you are required to or should file taxes.

According to the guidelines of the Internal Revenue Service, when your standard deduction amount and the exemption amount for dependents claimed equals less than your income, you are required to file taxes.

You might want to file even if you are not required to. If your employer has been withholding taxes, you may be owed a tax refund.

UNA student Nicole DeVaney chose to file taxes on her own for the first time this tax season.

DeVaney, a self-employed photographer, decided to file taxes independently because of a major increase in her income.

“It’s been easy,” she said. “You just have to be responsible and keep up with everything. I save my receipts for everything I spend for school.”

H&R Block Agent Roz Wilson emphasized keeping good records to get good returns.

“If a student is claiming themselves on their taxes, then they can take their tuition fees and books, and some of that might get them a credit,” Wilson said.

DeVaney plans to take her tax return and put it back into her schooling.

Some students may not feel up to filing by themselves and wish to seek help from a professional.

Thankfully, services are available online and locally to aid in the process.

“Right now H&R Block is doing a free 1040EZ, which is the real simple tax return, until Feb. 15,” Wilson said.

TurboTax and the IRS also offer Free File software online for those earning $57,000 or less.

UNA student Anthony Leggett decided to file with help from professionals.

“I think it is easier to file with someone than by yourself,” he said. “That way you don’t make any mistakes.”

Leggett found the filing process simple with the help of a tax agent.

“My return is all going to my housing bills to help out my mom,” he said.

Most tax services advise getting an early start on preparing your taxes to minimize stress during the process.

The IRS tax filing deadline is April 15.