Student opens NAACP chapter

A college chapter of the NAACP has been established as an RSO at UNA. Students founded the new chapter last semester and held its first interest meeting Nov. 27.

Destiny Battles, NAACP chapter president and junior at UNA, explained that the chapter will serve as the campus face for the national organization.

“The NAACP is a political and justice organization,” she said. “We don’t want discrimination anywhere. We are here to build this country on morals and character.”

Battles said the purpose of a college chapter is to provide students with scholarship opportunities and new experiences.

“It’s an organization that puts you out of your comfort zone in a good way,” she said. “We need one on campus. An RSO like this engages everybody. It will help students because there are so many avenues to take in NAACP.”

Joan Williams, assistant director for the Office of Diversity & Institutional Equity at UNA, serves as the new RSO’s interim adviser. Williams said she is working to connect the new group with the community’s NAACP chapter.

“From a student leadership standpoint, networking and so many opportunities stem from there,” Williams said. “This way (Battles) and the students involved wouldn’t miss anything. It’d be great because they can get to know people and get involved in the local community.”

Williams said she has been encouraged by the initiative students have taken and the increase in student involvement.

“Research shows that it’s good for students getting involved — it gives you an opportunity to grow,” Williams said. “It’s also important to be supportive if the students feel like there’s a need for something. There’s a sizable group of students that already said they’d support the organization.”

Battles transferred last fall to UNA from Auburn University, where she had just restarted that campus’ chapter. Battles said UNA students have been enthusiastic about the new chapter and have already gotten involved.

“We are looking for different ways to get students out and meeting others,” Battles said. “We want to do a Masquerade Ball and a Sav-A-Life and other events next spring. It’s a foundation, so anyone who’s interested can be a part of it.”

Battles said the RSO also wants to work with other student groups at UNA. The organization will offer about 12 committees that students can serve on, with focuses ranging from education to community development and economic empowerment.

“This semester is going to be about fundraising,” Battles said. “It’s going to be awesome because it’s an amazing organization, and we want everybody to get involved. Some people aren’t comfortable with the NAACP because they think it’s only for black students, but it’s for everybody.”

The organization will have its first meeting Monday, Jan. 14 at 5 p.m. in room 207 of the GUC. Meetings after that will be bi-weekly. Details are available on OrgSync.