Show us the money

Many UNA students wait anxiously for their refund checks to be able to buy textbooks, like students at other universities like Middle Tennessee State University and the University of Tennessee at Martin. However, those schools offer direct deposit.

One of the best days during the semester, for most students, at least, is the day refund checks are distributed.

You see your friends talk about them on social media, and if you’re receiving one, you anxiously await its arrival during the first week of classes.

Many UNA students, like Alex Smith, said they wait on their checks so they can buy textbooks.

“Books are expensive, and if I don’t have a check I can’t buy mine,” Smith said.

Refund checks are delivered to students’ campus mailboxes approximately five business days from the date classes begin, according to the UNA website. From that point on, students should wait approximately five business days from the day the funds post to their student account before receiving a residual check.

Students without a campus mailbox will have refund checks mailed directly to their permanent address, and there is no option for check pickup, according to the website.

After repeated attempts to reach officials from the business office, no one was available for comment.

Refund checks are a big deal at other universities, too, students said.

Cristine Kuo, a student at Middle Tennessee State University, said while others stress about receiving their check, she is financially stable enough to make it through the waiting period.

“Yes, refunds are a huge deal at MTSU,” she said. “Almost everyone depends on it for textbooks and rent. I personally don’t stress about it because I pay mine out of pocket first, but most people usually wait until the refund check and then buy their books. The professors are lenient about it and know the situation also.”

Taylor Gobble, a sophomore at the University of Tennessee at Martin, said her semester can’t truly begin until she picks up her refund check.

“I know I depend on my refund check for books and supplies and use what’s left, if there’s any, to put into my account to pay for things like rent and groceries,” Gobble said.

UNA student Amanda Frazier said she feels like students should save their checks each semester, and then they wouldn’t have to worry at the start of each semester.

“If you save your check from the previous semester, you can use it to buy your books the next semester,” she said. “It’s a better situation.”

MTSU and UTM offer the option to have refund checks directly deposited into student bank accounts, unlike UNA.

“I personally have mine directly deposited into my account, because it’s annoying to stand in line,” said UTM senior Whitney Pope.

Smith said she wishes UNA would offer the same option.

“I think it would be easier on everyone if they did,” Smith said.