Non-paying internships could pay off

As competition in the job market rises, an internship has become a key component on student resumes. Many students are facing the decision whether to accept a paid or unpaid internship. Is an experience worth just as much as monetary compensation?

Recent UNA graduate Chelsea Pogue worked an unpaid internship at Colbert County Convention and Tourism Bureau. She worked approximately 20 hours per week for no pay but said the experience was worth it.

“I met a lot of interesting people and learned interesting things,” Pogue said.

Career Planning and Development Director Melissa Medlin said students are encouraged to get any experience possible.

“When employers contact us with internships, we tell them it’s best to pay students,” Medlin said.

Medlin said the term “internship” is thrown around a lot. Internships were an academic experience to begin with but not so much anymore. Gaining professional experience could be a part-time job, but if it’s directly related to the student’s field, it can count as an internship.

Michelle Eubanks with Shoals Hospital said the hospital provides internships to many students at UNA. There are many non-clinical internships available, but most are unpaid.

“An internship is only as valuable as the student makes it,” Eubanks said. “If the student is only worried about making money, then they aren’t gaining enough from it. Excelling in the experience will provide the student with more.”

Some students may not know the reason some internships are paid and others are not. Eubanks said that in her area, internships may be paid depending on the area of study and educational service.

“A typical student will be paid in experience rather than monetary value,” she said.

Will Riley, intern at Listerhill, has worked at a paid internship. His internship is in the marketing field, and he works no more than 19 hours a week.

“Anyone majoring in marketing or communications should apply for this internship,” Riley said.

Riley said his experience as an intern has given him the opportunity to grow not only as person but as an aspiring professional.

Students who have interned with pay and without pay both seem to be pleased with their experiences — though compensation helps. If a student is looking for a place to intern, there are many opportunities available in the Shoals area.

“We do post internships on our site (LionJobs),” Medlin said. “No matter your major, we can help find internships for you.”