Puppy love

Animals await adoption in their kennels at the Florence/Lauderdale Animal Shelter.

Approximately 78.2 million dogs and 86.4 million cats are owned in the United States alone, according to the American Pet Products Association. While 62 percent of all households in the U.S. own pets, there are still approximately 5 to 7 million animals entering shelters across the nation each year, according to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

In December, the Florence/Lauderdale Animal Shelter housed approximately 100 to 150 animals, while almost 150 animals were under the care of foster families in the Shoals area, said Debbie Rappuhn, Florence shelter volunteer coordinator.

“It’s depressing to see so many animals dropped off here,” Rappuhn said.

She stressed the importance of making sure you can commit to something as long-term as pet ownership, especially while in college.

“You have to consider everything — work, school, relationships,” she said. “If there’s anything that will hinder you from providing the care an animal needs, then don’t adopt a pet.”

Rappuhn said the shelter sees a high number of animals dropped off everyday.

“We’ve had 64 puppies dropped off in only three days,” she said.

She said that while she would love to see the animals from the shelter adopted, college students often adopt pets without thinking about the commitment involved.

“You have to understand the feelings of the pets,” Rappuhn said. “When you adopt them and they become attached to you, but you can’t take care of them, it really hurts them.”

Rappuhn said there are options for college students who want to spend time with animals without making a full-time commitment to caring for them.

“The volunteer program started two and a half years ago,” she said. “We would love nothing more than for students or people to come and just spend time with the animals. Attention is what they crave more than anything.”

Rappuhn said her volunteers come from many places.

“Many of them are students,” she said. “They get community service hours for various programs at the university. And we have one young man that volunteers here frequently because he loves animals but can’t have them in his apartment complex.”

UNA student Amanda Daniel said she can’t imagine not having her dog Scout, a Great Pyrenees/Labrador mix, and that she’s worth all of the extra work that goes into caring for a dog.

“I got her from the shelter in September,” Daniel said. “Sometimes it’s challenging, because a dog her size needs lots of food and exercise, but she definitely helps with the stress level when things get hectic.”

Daniel said having a pet while balancing other commitments has taught her a lot.

“She’s taught me a lot about responsibility,” she said. “She depends on me for everything. But on the plus side, she never leaves my side, and even if I’ve been at school all day, she can’t wait to see me.”