Greek organizations host inaugural tournament

Students compete in the Nov. 7 inaugural Phi Mu/Sigma Chi dodgeball tournament at the SRC.

UNA students competed in the inaugural Phi Mu/Sigma Chi Dodgeball Tournament Nov. 7 in the SRC.

Phi Mu’s philanthropy chair and UNA sophomore Anna Leigh Rossi said students involved raised $435 for Children’s Miracle Network Hospital, a nonprofit charity that has been helping children in need of medical care since 1983.

“We had a great turnout in the SRC where both contestants and onlookers came out to show support,” Rossi said.

Rossi helped keep track of the winners as the games started Wednesday night, with teams competing in multiple rounds and being eliminated after two losses.

The 15 teams competed in multiple rounds until the final teams played for the trophy and cupcakes brought by sorority members for the last team standing.

“We wanted to get campus organizations other than just Greeks involved,” Rossi said.

Rossi worked with Sigma Chi’s philanthropy chair Austin Holt over the past month to organize the event.

The event was free to watch for all UNA students, and each team who entered raised $30 or more for the charity in order to participate in the event.

After three hours of intense dodgeball mania and a few innocent bystanders being hit, the final game came down between the baseball team and the football team.

After both fought hard and long for the gold, the football team took away the title of Phi Mu/Sigma Chi Dodgeball Tournament champions.

UNA senior Darnell Jackson helped the football team win the championship and said he enjoyed playing in the match.

“I thought it was a great event because it supported kids,” Jackson said. “We all had tons of fun playing and the turnout was great.”

With all the money raised in such a fun way, campus organizations plan on making this a traditional event at UNA.

“All in all it was a very successful event, and we look forward to planning another one in the near future,” Rossi said.