Students, alumni ‘Back for the Future’

by Student Writer Yu Fu

UNA homecoming week is Sept. 28 to Oct. 1. The week will be filled with activities for UNA students, fans and alumni.

The homecoming theme is “Back For The Future.” Friday, Sept. 28’s homecoming festivities will include a pep rally at 9 p.m. on the UNA soccer field.

Saturday, Sept. 29, the athletics department will hold a Hall of Fame Inductee ceremony at 9 a.m., there will be parade downtown at 11 a.m. and the UNA football team will face Shorter at 6 p.m. at Braly Stadium.

Many organizations at UNA are preparing for homecoming week; some said they would like to celebrate homecoming this year in a different way.

“Students are putting on activities, showing colors and pride,” said Tyler Thompson, assistant director of programs in the student engagement office. “For the alumni, they enjoy networking, coming with the students who are in the school now.”

During the parade, fans walk through downtown Florence as student-made floats make their way down the streets.

The Chinese Student Organization will walk through the Sept. 29 parade doing a Chinese dance.

“We have three girls leading the way and others following during the homecoming parade — our dancing is typical Chinese dancing,” said Yudie Hu, president of the organization. “This year, we are not only giving out candies but more than a hundred special Chinese pies during the homecoming parade. We have a lot of activities during homecoming week.”

Homecoming week has competitions in the pep rally, parade floats and the homecoming court.

“Those results will be announced during the homecoming show at the football game,” Thompson said. “We want everyone to come out and enjoy the event, making student and alumni networks.”

The point of homecoming is to show school spirit and get involved, said Carol Lyles, director of alumni relations.

“Every year, homecoming is a tradition at every university,” Lyles said. “(It) gets every alumni back in Florence to celebrate it.”

Lyles said the event is a great way for alumni to reunite and reconnect with their alma mater.

The Alumni Awards Banquet seeks to get alumni back to campus after they graduate, Lyles said.

The banquet will be taking place Sept. 28 at 6 p.m. in the GUC banquet hall.

“To me, the best part of homecoming is the Alumni Awards winner,” Lyles said. “We see who made the best contribution to their communities; we congratulate them and share their accomplishments.”

For the full homecoming events schedule, go to https://alumni.una.edu/homecoming.