VP candidate focuses on alumni, encourages faculty involvement

Daniel Hendricks, candidate for vice-president of university advancement, speaks with campus and community members about his plan for the advancement division of the university if chosen. 

University officials hosted a public forum on campus with Daniel Hendricks, candidate for vice-president of university advancement, Friday, Aug. 24.

Hendricks spoke to members of the campus and local community about his plans for UNA’s advancement division if chosen to fill the position.

He proposed an advancement program that begins with the university’s mission and brings meaning to the mission for alumni and donors. This program would also facilitate carrying out the mission with the university and its’ messengers.

“This is about the big picture at UNA,” Hendricks said. “A mission is not about something that’s written on a piece of paper, it’s about what you say and do.”

Hendricks said that it is important to make alumni feel like part of the extended family at UNA, and that the process begins with going back to making a student’s time at UNA valuable and worth remembering when they’re alumni.

“If we’re lucky, alumni will remember for a lifetime their love and loyalty to this institution,” Hendricks said. “Advancement works only as a derived function of the educational mission of the university.”

Hendricks is in the process of transitioning out of his most recent position as vice chancellor for advancement at Purdue University at Calumet.

UNA will host its second finalist Sept. 3-5. The candidate’s resume will be posted and open forum announced seven days in advance.

Look for a full-length story in next week’s issue of The Flor-Ala.