Newspaper should belong to students, seek feedback

As this year’s copy and opinion editor for The Flor-Ala, I have two main jobs: making sure the paper holds as high a quality as possible and giving a metaphorical (maybe literal) microphone to individuals’ voices and ideas at UNA.

If The Flor-Ala watches the university, then who watches The Flor-Ala?

I do, at least in a sense.

This job places a big task in front of me. I have to read every article submitted to this paper – something I admit I’ve never done in the three years I’ve attended UNA – and ensure it is free of error and reads perfectly clear. If something doesn’t make sense or is spelled incorrectly, I’m not doing my job right.

It’s a tough (and seemingly boring) job, but I enjoy the challenge and responsibility behind it.

I’m also looking forward to working on the opinion section of the paper. I just got married in May and hope to share my married-in-college experiences on a semi-regular basis for those who might be facing similar decisions and changes.

For anyone else who doesn’t want to listen to an old fart ramble about his nuptials, I will also include pieces from the paper’s staff writers. They will discuss their views on a range of topics including politics, religion and dating – all the things your parents told you not to discuss at the dinner table.

But enough of other people’s views. Whose voice is more important to you than your own?

I want to hear what you have to say, UNA. If you want to speak to the campus, send me a sample of your writing. It makes no difference to me what you have to say. As long as you say it well, I’ll give you a signal boost.

I can’t wait to see where this paper goes and what it covers this year. Whatever the case, I will do my best to make sure we adhere to the first and foremost rule of journalism: get it right.

As a personal goal, I want the student body to know that The Flor-Ala is its paper. We exist to serve students and freely hand out information while receiving your input.

If you would like to see something done in the paper, let me know. If you never want to see something again, let me know that, too.