UNA sports play close to campus, dorms

The turf field across from Rice and Rivers Halls is home to the UNA soccer teams. It is part of the Bill Jones Sports Complex, which includes the soccer and baseball fields. 

UNA’s athletic facilities are among some of the best to be found in Division II. With UNA in the process of moving up to Division I, there are some changes on the horizon as well.

Five of UNA’s 14 teams have their home field or court conveniently located on campus. With the football stadium just around the corner from campus and the softball complex close by, the Lions are never too far away to be seen in action.

FOOTBALL

Tom Braly Municipal Stadium, located on Royal Avenue.

With a capacity of more than 14,000 seats, UNA’s home stadium is one of the largest in D-II. Since 1986, it has been the site for the D-II National Championship Game every December. During the summer of 2010, the playing surface was replaced with synthetic turf and a $57,000 LED scoreboard was installed in the south endzone. Tailgating before home games is based around Spirit Hill just outside the stadium at the intersection of Hermitage Drive and Royal Avenue.

BASKETBALL, VOLLEYBALL

Flowers Hall, located on Pine Street

Opened in 1972, Flowers Hall has seen great success from the teams that call it home. The flooring has been replaced three times, most recently in 2004. UNA Athletic Director Mark Linder said more renovations to the floor as well as the seating are in the arena’s near future.

SOCCER

UNA Soccer Complex, located on Pine Street

UNA’s home soccer field is located between the baseball field and Flowers Hall. You can find the ladies of UNA’s soccer team in action on the turf field, as well as the football team during practices. The artificial surface provides a pristine pitch for the soccer team to rack up home wins as evidenced by their recent success.

BASEBALL

Mike D. Lane Field, located on Pine Street

Located next to the Soccer Complex, Lane Field is home to the Lions baseball team. The complex was renamed in 2008 in honor of the longtime UNA baseball coach. Renovations to the ticket booth, grandstands and entranceway were also completed during the 2008 season. With dimensions of 410 feet to the deepest part of the park and 320 to the shortest part, Mike D. Lane Field has a unique identity. A full tarp and modern scoreboard round out the amenities that the Lions boast at their home field.

SOFTBALL

UNA Softball Complex, located on Cox Creek Parkway

Located at the Cox Creek Park Complex on Cox Creek Parkway, the softball team finished renovations on their home field in 2006. The home dugout is connected to a locker room, restrooms and a training room. Grandstand seating and a new press box make this one of the premier facilities in D-II softball.

TENNIS

UNA Tennis Complex, located on Hermitage Drive

The tennis complex is located behind the sorority dorms in the Appleby parking lot. It’s within walking distance of campus and Braly Stadium.

GOLF

Robert Trent Jones/Turtle Point, located in Muscle Shoals

The Lions golf team spends most of its time at the Robert Trent Jones courses just outside of Muscle Shoals but also utilize the facilities at the Turtle Point Country Club.

INDOOR TRACK

Birmingham Crossplex, located in Birmingham.

The men’s and women’s track teams have recently been added to UNA’s sanctioned sports as a process of moving to D-I. The 750,000 square-foot facility boasts eight 60-meter lanes for sprinting and hurdle events as well as a six-lane, oval track for long-distance events. The Crossplex can hold up to 4,000 people, but being located in Birmingham means no true home meets for UNA’s track teams.