Looking forward to next year

As this year’s news/managing editor, I have spent a lot of time with many different people around UNA’s campus and the Shoals and enjoyed every bit of it. I can’t wait for another great year at The Flor-Ala, especially working as executive editor.

Next year, I plan to continue the journalistic integrity the current executive editor has worked so hard to instill in the staff. I loved working as this year’s news editor and can’t wait to build on the current editors’ work to improve the paper.

I plan to continue coverage of the important stories at UNA. Watch for continued coverage of the transition to Division I, SGA, local government and, of course, the almighty parking spot. Don’t worry; for those of you who love the Tweets of the Week—they’re here to stay.

The people the UNA Student Media Board chose to work on the editorial staff next year is a group of awesome budding journalists who have the same drive and determination I have to get the stories that matter the most.

I have full faith in my successor, Alex Lindley, to continue to cover the news of the campus and surrounding area to the caliber the staff has worked so hard for in the past.

As far as the outgoing staff goes, I cannot put into words the gratitude I have for each and every one of you. I will miss the laughing, the stress, the craziness and the awesome friendships. You guys have taught me so much about journalism, myself, and how to have fun and still get a lot of work done.

To my editor, Lucy, thank you for the support throughout the year. You have been the support that I have been able to go to and ask questions (all the time) and have taught me just about everything I know. I have enjoyed having you as a great friend, and I look forward to seeing your name on the front page of The New York Times.

To our readers, I encourage feedback. Let us know what we are doing well, what we are doing wrong and what we could improve on for next year. We cannot get better as a staff and as YOUR student newspaper if you don’t let us know. I strongly encourage readers to call our offices or email us directly to give your feedback.

Thanks to all of the readers who continually pick up our papers, to the writers who have worked so hard for me and the faculty members who have been there for me throughout the year.

For now, I will say, “See you next year.”

To contact Josh, call 256-765-4296, or you can follow him on Twitter at @joshskaggs.