University to host events for sexual assault awareness

UNA will host Sexual Assault Awareness week Nov. 7-11. Students can find activities around campus each day during the week to spread the word and educate students on sexual assault and domestic violence.

April is recognized nationally as Sexual Assault Awareness month. However, UNA has chosen to hold the event earlier in the school year so that students may become aware of danger as they begin the school year and dive into the party scene.

“The main goal of Sexual Assault Awareness Week at UNA is to advocate and let students know what resources are available to them,” said Kaylie Watts, UNA student and program director for Alternative Break Board.

The awareness week should help educate students on facts about rape and violence and let students know that regardless of gender, race or sexuality, sexual assault can and does happen.

“Our goal is to motivate the student body to participate,” Watts said.

ABB members and the Resident Hall Association are helping to sponsor the week’s events. The Office of Student Engagement has also helped to get the event going, Watts said.

Rape Response of the Shoals also works to educate on violence and assault and to provide a place of support for students and community members. Students can also reach out to the UNA Women’s Center and UNA Health Services for assistance or counseling.

Some events to take place on campus the week of Nov. 7-11 include: a shoe program, bracelet making, a self-defense course free to students, speaker event, pizza at the amphitheater and more. Students can look for more information to be disclosed through signs around campus and UNA portal.

Volunteers are welcomed for awareness week. Students wanting to help in any way with upcoming campus awareness activities can e-mail Kaylie Watts at [email protected].