Purple Reign Week gives UNA chance to show spirit

Students line up to get free T-shirts from the University Program Council Oct. 31. UPC handed out shirts to the first 400 students who entered the GUC atrium at 11 a.m.

Purple Reign Week brings a whole new meaning to Lion pride, especially during this transition time into Division I at UNA. If ever there was a noteworthy year to participate, it is now, said representatives with University Program Council.

“If the university and community do not get participation from the students, it will be an extremely hard transition,” said SGA Vice President for UPC Will Riley. “I’ve said it once, and I’ll say it again: we are a student-led university with faculty and staff support.”

The UPC started Purple Pride Week at UNA years ago, not knowing what an impact it would eventually have on the Shoals community. Purple Reign began as a community-oriented celebration of UNA pride, in which businesses and individuals competed to show the most spirit. This started out completely separate from campus festivities, and it was remarkable what a change took place when the community and university came together in celebration, UPC representatives said.

“It became something bigger and beyond what we ever hoped for,” said UPC Adviser Cheryl Mathis.

Riley commented on the rapid expansion of Purple Reign week.

“We went from passing out purple cupcakes on a Tuesday to the entire city of Florence celebrating Purple Reign,” he said.

The UPC hopes to start a new Purple Reign Week tradition by making UNA the theme for this November’s First Fridays of the Shoals. Apart from the Step Show winners’ performance at Mobile Plaza, First Fridays will also feature at least 15 different student groups from UNA and several school departments, all of which will endorse UNA in the community.