Students decide whether or not to vote

Many college students who live away from home can use absentee ballots to vote for elections in their hometown.

With the 2012 presidential election coming up, students are faced not only with the decision on who to vote for, but the decision on whether or not to vote at all.

Dr. Tim Collins, associate professor of political science, said there are many reasons why students choose to or not to vote.

Collins said students might choose not to vote because they do not see how their vote will count. Another reason Collins said students might not vote is because they do not want to take the time to research candidates and don’t like the idea of voting for a party ticket. Some students are independent, and that increases the research it takes to make a decision on a vote that they feel is insignificant.

“Depending on where students are in their lives, they aren’t yet invested in communities enough to actually turn out and vote,” Collins said.

On the contrary, Collins said students might choose to vote because they feel it is their duty as American citizens. Students are more traditional in wanting to exercise their vote, Collins said.

According to Collins, some candidates or issues can determine an increase in the young voter turnout. If an issue fits students’ interest, such as government school funding, students are more likely to vote.

Pace Holdbrooks, 19, said he plans on voting in the 2012 election because he feels that it is important.

“If this country is to remain a democracy, then the citizens should be expected to vote,” Holdbrooks said.

Holdbrooks said although he hasn’t yet researched the potential candidates in depth, he is following the controversy concerning Herman Cain.

“I think I’d like to just piss people off and vote for Ron Paul,” Holdbrooks said. “He never changes his opinions so you know what you’re going to get.”

Holdbrooks is not yet registered to vote, but plans on registering in his hometown of Decatur.

Karly Cochran, 21, said she votes because she feels it is a privilege to have a voice to let opinions be known.

“It’s a good way to take part and be involved,” Cochran said.

Cochran has not yet looked at potential candidates in order to make a decision on who will receive her vote. Cochran said she wants to further her research to find out who she feels has the best points and opinions.

Collins said students can visit votesmart.org. According to Collins, the website provides voter registration information provides the opportunity to learn who is running for office in a particular area.