University recognizes NPHC organizations with garden

National Pan-Hellenic Council President Shermika Jones thanks members of the UNA administration after the NPHC Garden was dedicated on campus Monday. The NPHC Garden is located in front the GUC.

UNA officials opened a new garden Monday in honor of the National Pan-Hellenic Council organizations on campus. The garden, located in front of the GUC, is a place for students to call their own, officials said.

“Dr. Cale wanted me to express to you his sincere pleasure and congratulations,” said Vice President for Student Affairs David Shields. “Each of you have made this a celebration.”

NPHC executive council members and members from their respective groups thanked Shields and Director of Student Engagement Tammy Jacques for their continued work to bring a garden to campus.

“This is more than just a garden,” Shields said. “It is a recognition for black organizations (on campus).”

Shields emphasized to the students present that the UNA community cherishes them.

“Remember that you are important to your chapter, your community and your university,” Shields said. “You are forever a part of the history of UNA.”

Shermika Jones, NPHC president and president of Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority, thanked the university administration for their continued support of the NPHC organizations on campus.

“This occasion, on behalf of the NPHC, is to be cherished,” Jones said. “This garden is now our very own.”

Jones specifically thanked Jacques and Shields for their continued work and dedication to getting the garden on campus.

“Finally, NPHC has something that we can call our own,” she said. “It shows that we do good, and it gives us motivation for our services.”

Other students in organizations affiliated with NPHC are honored and proud to have a place to call their own.

“It represents that the university recognizes the historically black Greek fraternities,” said Ralph Akalonu, SGA president and brother of Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity Ralph Akalonu. “It’s a great feeling that the university recognizes us as a community service organization.”

The NPHC currently has six groups on campus, and hopes to add the other three organizations under their umbrella to have the full “Divine Nine” on campus. The garden has three open spots for these organizations to be added, officials said.