First Fridays to feature UNA

UNA is teaming up with First Fridays of the Shoals Nov. 4 as part of UNA’s Purple Reign Week festivities.

According to Josh Woods, director of University Communications, the event will be a time when the positive aspects of UNA are going to be showcased. Many university organizations and clubs are going to be a part of the evening.

“I have been impressed with the number of groups wanting to get involved,” Woods said.

According to his count, there will be 20-25 different UNA departments and programs that are going to have presentations at the Nov. 4 First Friday, a community event that typically features businesses and artists from the Shoals area as they open their doors or set up booths in downtown Florence.

“The goal is to make the community more aware of the huge things happening at UNA.” Woods said. “The transition to Division I is just one piece in a much larger puzzle.”

Examples of this, he said, include the UNA Nursing Program. The Nursing Program just received the highest level of accreditation possible. The College of Business is also working to accomplish this goal.

Woods cites the expanding of campus as another of the aspects of UNA he hopes will be made aware of through events such as the upcoming First Friday.

Woods said that the First Friday will be “basically showcasing great things going on at UNA in a fun way.” He gave the example of a children’s magic show involving chemistry, the Culinary Program having a presentation, and the Golf Team exhibiting a putting green.

“People who may not have been to First Fridays may go to support the university,” Woods said. “We want to see as much purple and gold as possible.”

His prediction may come true, according to Elise Cofield, freshman in the UNA Honors Program.

“It might make more students who have never been before encouraged to go,” Cofield said. “I have not been before, and it makes me want to go.”

Fellow Honors freshman Alyson Berry also had enthusiasm for the upcoming event.

“It’s so exciting to see the community rally around the UNA Lions,” Berry said.

But it’s not just freshman that are looking forward to Nov. 4.

“I have never been to First Fridays before,” said Allison Stark, UNA junior majoring in Integrated Communications. “I am excited about going to this First Fridays because it has the potential to bring students and other members of the area together.”