ADEM awards grant to promote recycling in Florence, on campus

UNA student Ben Mills recycles reusable materials near campus.

Earlier this year, the Alabama Department of Environmental Management (ADEM) adminstered a grant that was intended to strengthen ties between the City of Florence Recycling Center and UNA, in terms of the ability to recycle.

The $113,000 grant will be used in various local places as far out as Rogersville, but one big goal is to purchase equipment that will facilitate easier recycling on campus. It will also let people-students, in particular-know about it.

“UNA has been recycling a long time,” said Rachel Mansell, Education Outreach Coordinator for the Solid Waste Street and Recycle Department. “They kind of have an underground system going on. The student population doesn’t really know about it, but the staff does.”

According to the Annual Recycling Report done every year through Michael Gautney’s office, UNA recycled over 48 tons of material ranging from aluminum and plastics to office paper to the left over kitchen oil used in the GUC restaurants. Outside of the administration, faculty and staff offices, and Sodexo, other recycling on campus is at a minimum.

Part of the grant’s purpose is to bring the recycling issue into the light. Together with Michael Gautney, director of Facilities Administration and Planning, Mansell hopes to make the recycling issue something that can’t be missed.

According to Mansell and Gautney, UNA will be purchasing 18 gallon containers for every classroom, 96 gallon rolling carts for every building, aluminum can and plastic bottle receptacles and a 6 x 10 trailer for the Grounds Department to haul recyclables off campus. The Recycling Center will also be purchasing new conveyor belts and scales for their trucks to help expedite the recycling process.

Mansell is hopeful about the effect the new containers will have on students.

“It will make the containers visible,” she said. “If there’s a container in every class, they will know it. I know I would.”

Another part of the grant will be for public relations and education of the campus and community. The education of the student body falls, in large part, on the SGA.

“We’re trying to push the initiative from the student’s perspective,” said Ralph Akalonu, SGA president. “SGA’s goal will be educating the students. I think a lot of students know about it, but they don’t know how to do it and that it’s so easy.”

Beginning with an event scheduled for Nov. 15, National Recycling Day, the SGA plans to follow up with more educational opportunities throughout the year. Akalonu hopes that these events will help keep student’s interest peaked.

“You always have to find new, creative things to keep (students) engaged with anything,” Akalonu said. “If they’re not interested, then they’re not.”