Men’s basketball adds new players for this season

Senior guard Beaumont Beasley returns this season. He and the new recruits hope to rebound from last season’s record.  

With less than a month left, UNA’s recruiting class could play a big role this season in getting the Lions back to Gulf South Conference power.

UNA added five players to the roster for the 2011-2012 season that includes a mix of Division I talent, international and also local products. UNA was one of the top offensive teams in the conference, averaging 78 points per game. Each of the additions seems to be highlighted by offensive ability, which could be scary to the rest of the conference.

“Overall, I think we have a nice blend of high school, junior college and Division I,” said UNA coach Bobby Champagne. “Also a nice blend of international and local players with a little bit of size and the ability to shoot the basketball.”

Tyler Richardson played at Lee High School in Huntsville, averaging 19 points and eight rebounds per game.

He played two years at Wichita State with limited action that included one redshirt season.

Theron Jenkins, also a Division I transfer who recently played at Texas Tech, could add some flexibility with his 6’6″ frame and 42 percent shooting while at Texas Tech.

Richardson will have three more years of eligibility for the Lions, and Jenkins will have just one, with plans to graduate in May.

“(Jenkins) is a very talented player and works hard and leads by example,” Champagne said. “He gives us some versatility with his size and shooting ability. (Richardson) was very good coming out of high school. He is also a guy who can shoot the basketball and has very good size for a guard.”

UNA added three international players that could also be beneficial to the team: Lazar Petrov of Kocani, Macedonia, Luke Corkery from Napier, New Zealand, and Nathan Spehr from Adelaide, Australia.

Spehr, a 5’10” guard, was a member of the junior national team that won gold in Germany, averaging 10 points and three assists per game. Corkery, a 6’7″ forward, averaged 18 points and 12 rebounds per game.

Petrov, a 6’11” center, also has some experience prepping for the Macedonia National team.

The local product, Corey Ricks, played his high school ball at Florence High School. He averaged 19 points per game and lead the Falcons to a 23-8 record.

He was also named the Times Daily player of the year and the school’s all-time leading scorer.

“(Corkery) and (Petrov) were here in the spring and were able to get their feet wet a little bit,” Champagne said. “(Spehr) has had some good international experience on the junior national team. All of our freshmen are going to be beneficial to our team.”

The incoming players could play a big role in re-establishing conference power this season for the Lions, who are hoping to improve from last season (13-16).

With only a couple of weeks left until the opening of the 2011-2012, each of the additions can make their lasting impressions on the coaching staff before an exhibition game against Ole Miss Nov. 3.

“Do they live up to their head lights or their press clippings is the question,” Champagne said. “The recruiting class always looks good on paper, but the real test will be when the competition starts.”