Florence lacks student entertainment options

Josh Skaggs News Editor

by Josh Skaggs News Editor

As someone who has grown up in a larger city my entire life, adjusting to small-town life has been something to get used to. Although Florence has more options than many of the smaller cities around it, it still lacks the businesses many other college towns our size have.

First and foremost, I want to say how excited and proud I am to see businesses like Buffalo Wild Wings, Five Guys, Publix and Jos. A. Bank investing in this area. People in the Florence area deserve the great shopping options these businesses provide. These businesses are a step in the right direction, and will hopefully bring more commerce and business growth to this area of the state.

For the most part, Florence needs to understand its identity. Florence is a college town, whether the residents want to look at it that way or not.

Florence needs businesses college students are interested in and will support. Businesses like Frostbite and Mackadoo’s are a step in the right direction, but where is Panera Bread, Zoe’s Kitchen, Starbucks and other restaurants college-aged students are interested in?

Why do students have to drive to Huntsville to enjoy a good meal or a fun night on the town?

I understand that most students who attend UNA are within an hour from their hometown, but why do students have to go home to have a fun weekend?

Florence needs something for students to do, and I don’t mean just First Fridays.

With UNA planning to go Division I, Florence should plan on stepping up commerce to keep up with the ever-growing UNA community. Students need things to do besides going to On The Rocks every night or going to the overcrowded movie theater on the weekend.

With UNA being one of the biggest employers and economic engines in the Shoals, Florence and the surrounding cities should capitalize on UNA, and not call it a bad neighbor. UNA employs more than 1,000 people in the Shoals. I don’t think this should be overlooked.

After attending several city council meetings this summer for The Flor-Ala, it dawned on me that some of Florence’s leaders really do not appreciate the economic engine that brings in most of this city’s revenue.

I feel as though the city of Florence, its residents and local businesses should work with UNA, not against it. Florence should embrace UNA, and capitalize on the many students who shop in this area every day throughout the year and add some more businesses students will take advantage of.

News Editor Josh Skaggs can be reached at [email protected] or 256-764-4364.