Christian Student Center to host debate

by Andy Thigpen Life Editor

The Christian Student Center at UNA is hosting a controversial debate on the existence of God. The free event is scheduled to take place Sept. 29 at 7 p.m. in Norton Auditorium and is open to the public.

Blair Scott is the communications director for American Athiests, Inc., and will be debating against the existence of God. He is also a staff writer for American Athiest magazine and manages the NoGodBlog-the official blog of American Athiests.

Kyle Butt, providing the rebuttal, graduated from Freed-Hardeman University with a master’s in New Testament Studies. He has worked at Apologetics Press for more than a decade in the Bible department.

“It’s really general,” said Danny Pettus, director of the Christian Student Center. “It’s more about God as a supernatural being. It’s asking if ‘A’ God exists, not a particular God.

“Something about this kind of debate draws people. This is something people will want to come to,” he added.

The event is a collaborative effort of student Colton Scott and the CSC.

“I think it should promote intellectual freedom at UNA,” Scott said. “It shows that we can ask intellectual and philosophical questions, and that any question is OK.”

According to Scott and Pettus, the CSC has received interest in the event from Mobile, Montgomery and Michigan. They are planning to fill up Norton Auditorium and will have a live feed streaming at Sherrod Avenue Church of Christ.

“(These debates) really are fun,” Scott said. “It’s not just going to be screaming.”

Pettus agrees.

“It’s not a brawl,” he said. “There will be times to laugh and get involved. Whether you’re atheist, agnostic, whatever, you will have fun if you come.”

The event will be streaming live from the Apologetics Press website. The CSC will also be hosting a streaming event at Sherrod Avenue Church of Christ, located at 1207 Sherrod Ave. in Florence.