UNA students recollect 9/11 attacks

This year marks a memorable time for many Americans as they recall the attacks on the World Trade Center, which occurred 10 years ago on Sept. 11, 2001.

The effects of 9/11 rang out to all Americans, even to those in the UNA community. Many students, who were in elementary or middle school at the time, still remember what they were doing when they first learned about the attacks 10 years ago.

“I was in 4th grade studying math,” said UNA student Justin Barnett. “At first I was excited (because school was dismissed early), until I heard what happened and said, ‘I’d rather be studying math.'”

Brett Henderson said he was in 7th grade on the day of Sept. 11.

“My first class was math,” he said. “One of the teachers came in and said, ‘You have to turn on the TV,’ and we saw the attack. (The faculty) immediately dismissed school.”

Other members of the UNA community are able to recall where and what they were doing on the day of the attacks.

“I was dropping my daughter off at kindergarten when I heard about it on Rick and Bubba,” said David Sumner, director of Baptist Campus Ministries. “I went home later to watch the news coverage.”

As students recollect where they were during the attacks 10 years ago, the impact of Sept. 11 was unique to different people.

“I was in Dayton, Ohio living by an airbase 20 miles from my house,” said UNA student Jason Hewer. “When it happened, we were all afraid, like someone dropped a bomb.”

Many students experienced specific changes in their communities after 9/11 that lasted from a few days to several years.

“Everyone was quiet for the next few days,” Henderson said. “Airports got a lot of tighter.”

Effects of the 9/11 attacks varied in different people’s lives. Some looked on at the attacks and never forgot them, while others used it as a way to challenge themselves to help serve the nation.

“As far as impact goes, I don’t know, it’s just something I always picture in my mind–those towers burning,” Hewer said.

The events of Sept. 11 inspired Henderson to join the military.

“I am doing the ROTC program,” Henderson said. “I knew as a kid that I wanted to join the military to protect America from that kind of evil.”