UNA students, officials give their ideas for new sports

The Flowers Hall swimming pool is now open for recreational use to UNA students. The debate over what sport will be added is still under consideration.

As UNA prepares to move toward Division I, the athletic department brainstorms ideas for new potential sport teams by 2012.

To financially support the move, changes must be made for the entire university. Mark Linder, UNA’s athletic director, explained that part of the UNA support system is for the athletic department to create two new sport teams.

“There is increased expenses every year, so we stair-step the expenses,” Linder said. “In that model of stair-step expenses is the addition of two sports.”

According to Linder, the new sports could range from a wide variety of possibilities, such as rifle shooting, bowling, gymnastics, fencing and sand volleyball.

“There’s a laundry list of them, and so we are investigating which ones will be the best fit for the university,” Linder said.

UNA students have varying opinions on what the new sport additions should be.

“I want to see a boy’s soccer team,” said UNA student Sky Stewart. “I knew someone who would not come because (UNA) didn’t have a boy’s soccer team. (UNA) would have more students if they had it.”

SGA President Ralph Akalonu also shared his opinion.

“I really thought of something like rowing because we have the Tennessee River here, so if we did a women’s rowing team, then there are a lot of students that could potentially tap into,” he said.

Linder also shared his thoughts.

“I think we need to take a look into women’s golf because of the interest in golf in this community and the number of great courses that we have in this area and the ability to be competitive,” he said.

Some have wondered if a swim team would be possible, due to the fact that a swimming pool is available in Flowers Hall, but Linder explained reasons why it would not be probable.

“From my understanding, I think (the swimming pool) is not quite long enough,” he said. “You could practice in there, but it’s not a competition facility, and I believe there are some safety issues with the diving component.”

Based on what sports are chosen for next year, facilities will be provided from areas in the Shoals or UNA, but construction of a new building is not likely.

“I don’t think there will be any added expenses as far as capital projects,” Linder said.

What Linder wants students to know is that UNA will not start developing new sports immediately.

“We’re not looking at adding two sports this year,” Linder said. “It would be 2012-2013 when they come on the cycle.”