UNA debates on-campus vs. off-campus jobs

Katie Haley works off campus as a barista at Coffee-Ol-Ogy.

According to Stephanie Smith, UNA student employment specialist, there are approximately 500 student workers on campus throughout the year. Smith said students working on campus have many opportunities open to them.

“You learn values and responsibilities that help throughout your career when you work on campus,” Smith said. “It increases your marketability.”

Smith said working on campus allows students to get used to being in sticky situations and prepares them for the real-world work environment. She also explained that on-campus jobs allow students to speak and carry themselves professionally long before they graduate from UNA.

“I believe employers will want a student who might have less than a 4.0 but can manage their time well,” Smith said. “Students learn the independence and responsibility at their student job that employers are looking for.”

Smith expressed that she wants students to stay on campus to work for the opportunities and the fact that on-campus jobs allow students to be more flexible with their class schedule, unlike many outside employers.

“Yes, you may have a higher pay rate, but those employers do not work with your school schedule,” Smith said.

Smith said many students seek off-campus employment because of the higher wages, but she cautioned students to be aware of their school work and keep their priorities in order.

Amanda Webb, a junior at UNA, works two off-campus jobs to keep her bills paid. Webb works in retail in the Florence area while she attends school.

“I chose to work off campus mainly because I don’t want to go to school and then stay on campus all day,” Webb said. “It allows you to get away from campus when you work off campus. I get paid more off campus than I would on campus.”

Webb said waiting to find out whether she received an on-campus job or not was not worth the amount of pay. Webb is like many students who typically go home during the summer and need to find employment when school starts back.

“I don’t see how students that only have an on-campus job can afford to live,” Webb said.

Webb said her apartment rent is far less than the cost of living in the dorms. Webb said in the long run, it is cheaper to rent an apartment than to have loans to pay off the costs of dorms.

Webb works off campus as much as she does so she can save extra money so she does not have to take out student loans that she will have to repay after graduation.

To apply for an on-campus job, visit the UNA Career Planning and Development website and apply via LionJobs at www.career.una.edu.