High school basketball player dies after game winner

Mitchell Leonard, brother of late teammate Wes Leonard, celebrate after Fennville’s 79.50 victory over Bangor in a Class C district semifinal boys basketball game Wednesday, March 9, 2011 in Holland, Mich. Leonard collapsed March 3 shortly after scoring the game-winning basket to preserve his team’s unbeaten streak.

Sixteen-year-old Wes Leonard made the game-winning basket for Michigan’s Fennville High School to advance in the high school playoffs, but hours later died in nearby Holland Hospital.

The Wes Leonard story has been heard all across America and everyone has gotten close to this small Michigan town.

A state of shock and sadness seems to be shared by all after hearing about this young athlete. At the University of North Alabama, many students feel the same.

“It’s always heartbreaking to see someone die at a young age,” UNA sophomore Ben McMurry said. “I guess the bright side is that he died doing something that he loved.”

Moments after the final buzzer sounded, Leonard was walking to shake hands with the opposing team and suddenly collapsed on the court due to what many thought to be heat exhaustion.

Leonard was taken to a nearby hospital where he later died of an enlarged heart, similar to the death of Loyola-Marymount basketball star Hank Gathers.

“It was sad for me to hear what happened to that young boy,” UNA junior basketball player Sam Buxton said. “I can only imagine what that family is going through.”

The Fennville Blackhawks continue to play basketball games and have won every game so far since the death of Leonard. Last Friday night, Fennville defeated Lawrence High School to claim the district title.

“They’re playing for him”, UNA junior Kayla Cordell said. “It is their way of keeping his memory alive.”

Moments after the district championship game, Mitchell Leonard, the younger brother of Leonard, hoisted the trophy in honor of his older brother.

Losing a brother is a hard thing to go through, especially at a young age, and Buxton knows exactly what Mitchell is going through.

“I had a brother that died five years ago,” Buxton said. “My brother’s death fueled my passion and aggression on the basketball court. I just wanted to get better for him.”

The Fennville Blackhawks hope to continue this heartbreaking and inspirational story as they go deeper into the state tournament, with a lot of people hoping for a positive end to a very tragic story.

“I am so proud to see that team keep winning after his death,” Buxton said. “I’m sure it has made a lot of the young men on that team feel that we should be grateful for every day and every hour. I’m sure my brother has been watching me and I am also sure Wes is watching his team continue to succeed.”