Can we please stop the complaining now?

With the recent weather that UNA has seen, many students tend to harp and complain on UNA’s decisions to stay open or closed during a weather event. The problem that many students have is that they are missing class or complaining that class was not canceled when the roads were apparently icy.

This year alone, UNA has seen a substantial amount of closures and late openings, but this is nothing to complain about. To these students who wish to complain that UNA closes on certain days and not the others, you are not in charge! Those of you who complain and rant on Facebook and Twitter really need to evaluate the situation as a whole. If UNA were to close every time it was cold or snowy in North Alabama, UNA would be closed throughout the winter and we would never graduate.

I could understand if the Shoals area had snow plows and a team of round-the-clock street workers like in a huge northern cities like Chicago, but, newsflash: We don’t! Large cities up north need teams like this-here in the Shoals, we don’t. It snows approximately three to four times a winter here, not every day and not all the time. If someone has a fear of snow, I suggest they talk to someone about that.

As for those of you who think that UNA administrators update the Facebook page and Twitter account, you are wrong. These accounts are managed by UNA’s webmaster who I am sure would rather not get your harsh comments or rants via Facebook every time he wishes to update UNA’s Facebook for something relevant or important.

If a student wishes to voice their opinion on the decisions UNA administrators make, then they should contact these administrators directly instead of blasting them across Facebook. This is unproductive and is not what college is teaching us to do, which is to be effective written and oral communicators. Communicating a complaint via Facebook is rather counterproductive, seeing as students who do so are slandering the very school from which they hopefully will receive a college degree one day.

If the administration at UNA sees it unsafe to come to school, I truly think they wouldn’t put the people that are paying their salaries in grave danger. To those students who really feel that it is productive to complain on Facebook about UNA closing or not closing, it’s not.

Students who complain when UNA doesn’t close should ultimately voice their opinion to the administration. These people are not really hard to get into contact with; being a journalist on campus, I have to meet with the administration quite regularly. It’s not that hard to do and not as scary as it sounds. I promise, the administrators would much rather you speak with them like adults than bash them across Facebook.