Suspicious letter reminiscent of bomb threats from high school

Everyone on our campus has heard by now of the suspicious letter that was sent to Stevens Hall last Thursday, and if you have not, where have you been? I went over to Stevens that afternoon after hearing about the event to check it out, and I ended up taking a of video of UNA Spokesman Josh Woods giving a statement to the press and updating everyone on the situation.

This suspicious letter was oddly reminiscent of several events that occurred while I was in middle and high school some years ago. Geez, I am making myself sound old.

I went to Curry Middle School and Curry High School in Walker Co., and I did not have to go far to switch between them because they face each other across a street. Several people-on a side note-that went to a school other than Curry in Walker Co. find it odd that the high school has a large graveyard right next door. My response is and will always be that we never thought about it.

In the eight years that I spent at Curry between the 5th and 12th grades, the schools received somewhere between six to eight bomb threats. Most of these occurred while I was in middle school, and only one or two were called in during high school.

Depending on what grade I was in, the procedure was different: the gym was searched, and then everyone was put in the gym, everyone was sent to the softball field or everyone was sent to the football field.

These days always kind of sucked. I mean, sure I got out of some of my classes, but having a couple hundred students all confined to a small area is not my idea of fun. I was not properly dressed for middle-of-the-day exposure two of the times we were sent outside in middle school.

There was never really a bomb in any of these cases, just as we all suspected. The person who called in the threat was caught more times than not. There was even a particular bomb threat called in to Curry High School where the offender was captured on one of two outside cameras at a local grocery store making the threat via payphone. The threats were almost always made by someone who either had not studied for a test or just did not want to go to school that day.

The only thing that these individuals managed to do was disrupt a few classes for a day, nothing more. The suspicious letter here at UNA did carry a little more concern with it, but pretty much everything returned to normal the next day, just like in high school.