Knowing how to read labels, vital to weight loss

Josh Skaggs Staff Writer

With America in a craze over Zumba and other workouts, many people look to what they eat to also keep them in shape. The first place many people look to see how healthy a food item is on the Nutrition Facts label.

“Do your research and know what you are putting in your body,” Peggy Bergeron, a nurse at UNA’s Student Health and Wellness Center, said regarding food labels.

Bergeron said students need to pay close attention to the label when they are buying and consuming food.

“The first thing I look at on a label is the amount of calories,” UNA senior Katie Lanier admitted.

Lanier looks at the calories because the diet she is on requires her to keep track of her calories.

“I also look at sodium and carbs on the package,” Lanier added. “I look at sodium because I have heard it causes bloating.”

According to the FDA, the food label is based on a normal 2000-calorie diet. Bergeron suggests students know how many calories they want in their diet, and follow the label according to their caloric needs.

“Pay close attention to the serving size,” Bergeron said. “Know what the serving size is, because the serving size directly relates to everything on the label.”

Bergeron also suggested students need to watch closely the sodium levels that the food item contains. “Too much sodium can cause high blood pressure and bloating,” she added.

Bergeron also suggested for students who buy in bulk, that a smart way to keep within the serving size is to pre-measure the serving size in bags. She said that this is an easy and convenient way to make sure the serving size is the right portion.

“Watch out for low-fat items. Some things that are labeled low-fat have higher calorie counts,” Bergeron warned.

Bergeron suggested if students are trying to lose weight, they should try 100-calorie packaging and make sure to compare packaging and brands. She also said that many food labels have helpful hints for consumers that are trying to cut back.

“Always look at the amount of calories in versus the amount of calories out,” Bergeron said.

For more information regarding the Nutrition Facts label and serving sizes, visit FDA.gov or contact a healthcare provider.