Hello and Welcome

Brooke J. Freundschuh, Arts and Entertainment Editor

Hello and welcome to the Arts and Entertainment section of the Flor-Ala. It goes without saying that 2020 is not the year Dr.Dre predicted in his music and shows no resemblance to the “Roaring 20s” Panic! At the Disco’s Brendon Urie sings about. 

The world is in disarray. Because of Covid-19 and social distancing practices, live music events are cancelled for the foreseeable future. Television and movie filming are on pause. Authors releasing books can no longer have book signings or in-person events to promote their work. The lights are off on broadway. Thousands of people who make a living off of the live entertainment industry are struggling. Historical venues are under threat of having to shut down. Because of high unemployment rates and a precarious economy, the means of even procuring media are at a low point, while streaming services jockey to entertain those quarantined in their homes. 

This dismal way of living reminds me of the fifty-year-old classic song, “American Pie” by Don McLean. McLean ultimately attributes all of the content in the nearly nine minute long song to “the day the music died.”

However, this makes me wonder, “If a song that was written 50 years ago can send chills through my body and bring tears to my eyes today, can music ever really die?” I believe the answer is no. 

Art in all of its many evolving forms is timeless. It is an escape from reality. 

I want this space to be one of appreciating the good and the bad in the world that is expressed and immortalized through art. I want various forms of entertainment to provide a healthy distraction from the darkness in the world, while acknowledging and appreciating the social cognizance media convey.

I want this section of the newspaper to be diverse. I want to showcase divergent talents and varying opinions. I want to explore art in all of its forms, especially those that are represented here on campus and in the culture-rich area of the Tennessee River. 

Read on to see how Taylor Swift wrote, recorded and produced her most critically acclaimed album yet in quarantine, how a UNA student found himself through his love of fashion and how for gamers, this may not be such a bad year after all. 

Enjoy. Allow yourself to get lost here, even if just for a few minutes. If you have questions,  comments, feedback, suggestions or interest in writing for the section email me at  [email protected].

As William Shakespeare said, “If music be the fruit of love, play on.”