In case you missed it: Music that deserves more recognition

Jonathan Hatchett, Staff Writer

There are songs that deserve more recognition and praise. These are those songs. 

Albums: 

“Sound & Color” by Alabama Shakes 

The year was 2015 and Alabama Shakes had been silent for a good three years after their hit “Hold On”. Very few expected much from their future works, even less anticipated an album of such varying depth. Entirely sonically pleasing and tonally diverse, “Sound and Color” won a Grammy for Best Alternative Music Album the next year. 

“Crumbling” by Mid-Air Thief 

South Korean artist Mid-Air Thief came out with this stunning sophomore album in 2018. Mottled with vocals from artist Summer Soul, it won Best Dance and Electronic Album at the 2019 Korean Music Awards. Most of the album is in Korean, but there is no excuse to check it out given K-Pop’s prominence on the western charts. 

“Choose Your Weapon” by Hiatus Kaiyote

This ethereal beast, born out of stardust and all things poetry is for all of the self-proclaimed star-children out there. Its lyrics have an entirely organic and honest quality to them, with instrumentation seemingly hewn from nebulae. “Choose Your Weapon” is quite the unique ride. 

“The Gold Standard” by Marrow 

Here is where it gets dark. Every song featured on this album is like a look into a failed relationship. Notable ones include “Mother of Maladies”, “Quarter to 3” and its title piece “The Gold Standard”.

“The Dongo Durango” by Sun Club 

Here comes the sun. “The Dongo Durango” was released in 2015 and Sun Club has since disbanded, but the group’s music lives on. The surf rock album’s rambunctious, rambling lyrical delivery is synonymous with the relaxed speech of surf culture. Listening is like building a sand castle at sunset … there is nothing like it.   

Songs 

“Disco” by Surf Curse 

Apart from the dance-inducing beat and name, the music video is all the more movement-affirming. This song may be more well-known, but that does not discredit the spell it puts on one’s hips. 

“Ace” by Noname, Smino, Saba

Ever been angry? Unsure where life is headed? In need of a cathartic release in the form of a song? Look no further. From Noname’s album “Room 25”, “Ace” is a confidence-boosting rap, inexplicably doled out in three stages. Learn the verses, try it out. After mastering all three tiers, one may become the best, or “Ace”,at it as well as the artists that performed the song. 

“Lifeguard” by Hello Yello

This energetic embodiment of summer sunshine is a declaration of love in disguise. It is as if one has fallen in love, cannot quite put it into words, and does so in descriptive metaphor. Add a few well-placed power chords and Hello Yello has an upbeat hit.

“G2g” by Berhana

This song is entirely self-explanatory. It is from Berhana’s 2019 album “HAN”, an audio experience that rivals ASMR. From the first song, one is whisked away on a simulation flight and “G2g”, the slang term for the phrase “got to go”, is nestled two-thirds of the way through. Its placement instills in one a sense of urgency to either get off of the flight, or was motivation to have gotten on the flight in the first place.  

“Compliments” by Mesita

This is just another upbeat song with a sad message that is upbeat enough to forget about said sad message. Other examples include “Hey Ya!” by OutKast. Results may vary, listen at own risk. 

“My Life” by Robin Thicke, Pharrell Williams

Featured on the “Despicable Me” soundtrack and featuring the less-than-reputable Robin Thicke, the only redeeming quality of this song is that it was produced by Pharrell. Take “Happy” from the same soundtrack and strip it of the years of overplay it endured, then make it geared toward a more mature audience. Throw the general theme of falling in love in there and this song is born. 

“Just a Boy” by The Backseat Lovers 

If one ever has the desire to scream, this song’s saddening familiarity is all too enticing to aid in such an endeavor. 

“Real Games” by Lucky Daye 

Funk called and wants its groove back. Try and sit still while listening to this one. 

“Figures” by The Whitest Boy Alive

This song came out in 2006, but sounds as if it is an experimental attempt made by an indie rocker of today. The vocals are provided by the frontrunner of the formerly popular Kings of Convenience and delivered in a sullen, revelatory manner. 

“Raid” by Madvillain, MED

Calling all skaters. “Madvillains” by Madvillain may be a familiar listen to those who skate, but arguably their best song is this one. The album is a collaboration between MF Doom and Madlib, Doom named after his resemblance to the Fantastic Four supervillain Doctor Doom. The song itself was made when fellow rapper MED joined forces with them. Its use of sampling creates an energetic soundscape prime for those who use sound as a physical motivator. 

“Wanted to Fly” by Surahn 

Now, this song for sure sounds the oldest, but only came out in 2015. Ever imagined soaring through the sky, untethered to gravity? This song may help one envision it. It sounds like liftoff, turbulence and then cloudless freedom. 

“Constant Surprises” by Little Dragon

In their self-titled inaugural album, Little Dragon came out with this tune in 2007. After dropping the listener within what feels like a cautionary tale, it is revealed to be a story about life’s constant and welcome surprises. 

There are plenty more under-appreciated songs out there, these being just a few. If interested, a playlist was created to address this problem. It is accessible only on Spotify and is called “In Case You Missed It.” It has been made collaborative and all are free to add to it.