UNA opens new facility in Tuscumbia

Rebecca Robinson, Volunteer Writer

The University of North Alabama recently marked its presence in Tuscumbia with the opening of a multi-purpose facility, signifying the school’s return to Colbert County in over a century. 

The facility is a 5,000 square foot building, with the bottom floor being leased and renovated for UNA’s use. The space will mainly be occupied by the College of Arts and Sciences. 

“It will primarily be used for arts-based programming, music-based programming, and cinema-based programming,” said Ross Alexander, provost and executive vice president for academic affairs. 

This gives UNA’s College of Arts and Sciences the opportunity to showcase multiple events.

“It could include classes, one-off events, art exhibitions, music performances, ensembles, movie nights, etc.,” said Alexander.

The facility also includes a commercial kitchen.

“Our Culinary Arts Program can use it for events, for dinners, for teaching,” said Alexander. 

In addition to its usage by the College of Arts and Sciences, the space will include an office for the Office of Advancement. 

Placing the facility in Tuscumbia is historically significant for UNA. 

“It’s important for UNA to have a physical presence in Colbert County,” said Alexander. “The university was founded in what is now Colbert County in 1830.” 

The new facility allows UNA to expand its representation as a growing school in north Ala. 

“We’re the university for the entirety of the Shoals,” said Alexander. 

The space is a positive addition to the university, providing a beneficial source for students, faculty, and staff to enhance their experience at UNA for years to come.