Former valedictorian: a chessman threat

Brady+Cross+is+a+sophomore+at+the+University+of+North+Alabama.+

Photo Courtesy of Brady Cross

Brady Cross is a sophomore at the University of North Alabama.

Jonathan Hatchett, Staff Writer

Hatchett: What is your name?

Cross: My name is Timothy Braden Cross, but I go by Brady.

Hatchett: What is your age?

Cross: I am 20 years old.

Hatchett: What year are you?

Cross: I’m a Sophomore at UNA.

Hatchett: What is your major? 

Cross: My major is Economics, and this is my first semester with my new major.  Previously, my major was Biology(Professional Option).

Hatchett: What are your interests?

Cross: I’m an avid reader. I like to read fiction and nonfiction.  Recently, I’ve gotten into stock market investing.

Hatchett: What do you do for fun?

Cross: Obviously, play chess. I also enjoy working out, hiking, soccer and hanging out with my friends and girlfriend.

Hatchett: Who introduced you to chess?

Cross: I was introduced to chess by my dad. He taught me the rules when I was around 12, but it didn’t really interest me until I was about 17.

Hatchett: How long have you been playing chess?

Cross: All in all, I’ve been playing chess a little under 2 years. I really started playing at 17 until about 18. Then, I took some time off until somewhere around Thanksgiving of 2020.

Hatchett: What is your proudest accomplishment?

Cross: My proudest accomplishment is graduating as valedictorian of the 2019 class at Lawrence County High School (AL).

Hatchett: What are you gifted at?

Cross: I’m fortunately pretty gifted at Math. I managed to make a 35 on the ACT math section, and I’ve thankfully never really had to struggle with math. 

Hatchett: What are some of your goals?

Cross: I want to graduate with a bachelor’s in Economics from UNA. I’d then like to become an Actuary, but I’m not sure which type of insurance I’d like to go into.

Hatchett: What do you hope to achieve in life?

Cross: As far as self-actualization goes, I’m rather boring. I’d like to start a family of course.  If I had to do something interesting, I’d like to become familiar with as many cultures around the world as I can and try to learn from them.