BLA to host Black History Month Jeopardy

Lavette Williams, Editor-In-Chief

Black Lioness Alliance (BLA) will be hosting Black History Month Jeopardy in the Guillot University Center Banquet Hall on Feb. 17 at 6 p.m.

While there will be a limit of 60 allowed at this event in order to maintain social distancing, the people who participate will be given a free t-shirt. The overall winner of the game; however, will also leave with a prize.

“[Jeopardy] is going to be fun, but it is also going to be very educational,” said Aliyah McCary, BLA president.

The categories of BLA’s jeopardy are going to consist of people, places, food, dances, history and true or false.

“I feel like with Black History Month, there is so much that we don’t know due to the education system not teaching us,” McCary said.  “And so, it is up to us to educate ourselves.”

While jeopardy can only teach so much, BLA is hoping that students are able to walk away from their event and obtained something new.

“Slavery and the civil rights movement, that’s only a small part to us,” McCary said. “How many people know that Carter G. Woodson created Black History Month? How many people know that it didn’t start of as a month, but [at first,] it was only a week?”

Black History Month is a time to pay tribute to the contributions, achievements and sacrifices of African Americans throughout U.S. history – the civil rights leaders and the abolitionist.

“Sojourner Truth, Angela Davidson, Harriet Tubman, Muhammad Ali, Malcolm X, Marcus Garvey,” McCary said. “These are people who I believe I have made an impact, but [still] there are people who aren’t getting the recognition that they deserve.”

However, it is also a celebration of all African Americans, of those who are history in the making.

BLA Vice President Brittany Cummings acknowledges Shaun King, a social media advocate, for his push to end police brutality and Kamala Harris, U.S. Vice President for breaking the glass barrier and becoming the first black VP.

“To have [a black woman] in a position of great authority and for her to have a voice from her is very inspiring,” Cummings said. “It’s inspiring because I’ve always had a small doubt in the back of my head. I want to open my own restaurant but there’s always that [questions that come to mind]. Like, what if I don’t have enough money, what if I don’t make enough profit [but] seeing Kamala makes me really want to put my leadership [skills] to the test.”

Cummings said to see people of color on social media taking over that is something everyone needs to see, especially as young, black adults.

But even if it is not trending on social media or not Black History Month, Cummings celebrates black history all year.

“Celebrating black history all year round is like celebrating Christmas all year round,” Cummings said.  

Cummings said she gets so excited when she is learning different facts about her ancestors who paved the way for her. Not only is she excited, but she is proud.

“I come from such greatness, and it’s amazing,” Cummings said.

As of right now, BLA has 32 active members who attend their weekly Zoom meetings, which take place on Wednesdays at 5 p.m.  

In hosting jeopardy, BLA is hoping to promote their organization to students of other ethnicities, races and genders who may be interested. By doing this, they are anticipating that this will open the table to different conversations and diverse opinions.

“We would really want to get the word out,” Cummings said. “Black History Month Jeopardy is a good time to interact with students while promoting the club and to get out important black history facts to the attendees.”