Educator seeks to develop more STEM research

Tiffani Adams, Volunteer Writer

Montia Pace, student and educator in the Department of Kinesiology at the University of North Alabama, tackles her challenges and strives to be the “King” of the STEM field.

Pace started attending UNA in the Fall of 2017, entering the masters program in Health and Human Performance to compliment her BS degree in Kinesiology that she received at Mississippi State University. She graduated in 2019 and is currently in the doctoral program teaching 300-400 level courses at UNA.

Pace wants to develop more research in her field so that she can add to science and share her findings with other passionate colleagues and students. “[My] biggest goal is to change the world by inspiring others through teaching,” said Pace.

She describes her former research of occupational fields’ health and how she wants to continue to add to her published thesis, “Minimalist Style Boot Improves Walking but Not Running Economy in Trained Men,” where she compared different boot types to see which would be more efficient for military personnel.

The thesis and related research can be found in the Journal of Ergonomics. Teaching and science motivate Pace to continue her work in a field that is underrepresented in her demographic. She works hard to make her students and fellow faculty feel seen in STEM, and encourages other women to discuss their challenges and accomplishments.

“I think it’s important for women to share their experience in this field,” Pace said. “We make up a small portion of academia; we make up a small portion of a lot of job fields. Sharing these experiences can make you feel not as alone. Seeing people accomplish their dreams can be motivating and give women in STEM a reason to not give up, no matter how hard it can be.”

Pace recalls getting excited seeing a majority of women attending her first class she taught at UNA in 2021. It was then that she knew she could be a voice for women entering the sciences.

“I notice on social media you think people will just like a picture, move on, [and it’s in the] back of the head,” Pace said. “People do pay attention. I notice that over time someone would randomly make a comment about something and say, you know, how good I’m doing or that they’re proud of me and it made me realize- women do see me.”

The dynamic life as a student and professor in the sciences does come with its challenges. Pace emphasizes the importance of a strict schedule, managing burnout, and receiving proper support from peers and family.

“It is difficult to worry about school from a student perspective and from a teacher perspective,” Pace said. “Making sure that I grade [assignments], that my PowerPoints are up to date, assignments look good, [and that] it [all] makes sense.

Time management is definitely a huge thing. I would say to not take on too much than you can. It is the biggest thing when taking on the role of a student and teacher.”

Pace has different planners and notebooks labeled for teaching or studying purposes- all in pink, one of her favorite colors. She explains how pink is seen as feminine and frail to society but radiates confidence and power in femininity that she wants to exhibit throughout her life.

“You can do it,” Pace said. “I just want women in science to know that they are making an amazing contribution to their fields and society. I want to bring that light here on campus and wherever I go in the future.”

Right now, Pace plans to work as hard as she can to have a relaxed, stable life in the future. With her accomplishments and recognition quickly expanding, she feels the world is her oyster and encourages women in STEM to feel the same.